High ISO

If high ISO is the only tool you have left in your bat belt to ensure you get the image, then use it.

I prefer trying the following:
- move to better natural light
- use off camera flash to increase the light
- use on camera speedlight to increase the light
- open the aperture as wide as possible
- see if i can manage with slow shutter speeds
- up the iso

Ah...zoos....

I hope this is the right one. Work decide just now that all my Flickr photos should be red Xes. Is it the green one? 3200 ISO and a bit of noise reduction. Just a touch. 5D MKWIN.

If high ISO is the only tool you have left in your bat belt to ensure you get the image, then use it.

I prefer trying the following:
- move to better natural light
- use off camera flash to increase the light
- use on camera speedlight to increase the light
- open the aperture as wide as possible
- see if i can manage with slow shutter speeds
- up the iso

What is high ISO? That needs to be defined on a camera to camera basis. I'll easily shoot at ISO 800 and I don't consider that high.

What is high ISO? That needs to be defined on a camera to camera basis. I'll easily shoot at ISO 800 and I don't consider that high.

Excellent point. Its not only on a camera basis, its also based on personal taste. I know some shooters who dont mind the noise introduced by higher ISO as much as others.

I wasn't happy with shooting over 400, but sometimes did 800 on my XSI. I know people who were good with 800 and 1600.

What is high iso? I guess generally speaking it would be 1-2 stops down from the max your camera manufacturer says the iso goes. My 7D goes to 12,800. I dont like more than 3200. My XSI went to 1600. I didn't like more than 800.

Or on the slip side, its one over the personal maximum acceptable ISO number where noise is introduced. So if you are happy with 6400 and it gives great images, then high ISO would be 12,800.

Does that make sense?

intempus- great example, is that SOOC?
It's "straight out of DPP". :) The default NR was applied by DPP. The white balance was adjusted and the color saturation was adjusted. The image was sharpened in CS3 and exported to JPG.

lightroom 3 has great Noise reduction, and with a careful combination of added (masked) sharpness and noise reduction, noisy images can be very usable
I've been using DPP with the 1D4. I like how it manages the noise better than LR3.

This was shot at f/2.8 using a 70-200mm IS lens and ISO 8000. The D3s can do even better.

Whats this!!!!!! can it be...... The infamous Intempus a known Canon advocate making claims the opposition is better!!!! What shall we doooooooooooo....

Im sorry I had to......

:)

Cheers mate!
Did I type D3s? I meant to type the soon to be released 1Ds4. :)

I have rarely gone above ISO 800 on either my 5D or 5D MkII, despite numerous forums, reviews etc. that claim they are excellent at up to 3200 ISO. I really don't like that much noise in my images, and I almost always have an off camera flash and an assistant with me at weddings, so I don't need it.
That being said, if your choice is high ISO or not getting the shot at all, obviously the high ISO is a good option, but my personal style usually only requires about ISO 400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back