high key high

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hi, can anybody share some of the techniques they use in PS to create high key images. Every time i try it they always look wrong. Usually flat and blown out

Thanks

Im guessing by you saying "High-Key" you mean a light image (Mainly built up of whites and high end white mid-tones)?

For a high key black and white image, I would convert to B&W using the channel mixer. Duplicate your channel mixer adjustment layer, and set its blend mode to "soft light", or for even higher key, "overlay". Your end result should be a very high contrast image, with very bright white skin tones.

You can do the same for color, just do one channel mixer, and set its blend mode to soft light or overlay.

matthudd said:
Im guessing by you saying "High-Key" you mean a light image (Mainly built up of whites and high end white mid-tones)?

Sorry, yes, that's what i meant

Thanks i will try out your technique Matt

Generally it's best to shoot a photo with the intent for it to be high-key -- that is, to expose it so you end up with mostly lightness in the image. It probably isn't as good to try to adjust the exposure later in photoshop. That might be why you're having trouble.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back