High Key Shoot

Aggressor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't do studio type shots much, mainly because I prefer more 'natural' environments, but I think it's necessary to get out of my comfort zone a little bit and stretch some. They're at proof stage for now so all they've had is a little bit of a curves adjustment. Here's a couple of results of my stretch:

headshot-jc.jpg

headshot-mc.jpg

Nice shots, but I wouldn't call them high key. I consider high key to be when the background, clothing, props, even the model...is brightly lit and very light in tone. Here you just have well lit with a white background.

Nice shots, but I wouldn't call them high key. I consider high key to be when the background, clothing, props, even the model...is brightly lit and very light in tone. Here you just have well lit with a white background.

There seems to be some sort of mass misconception as to what high key is. I blame companys marketing white backgrounds as high-key backgrounds

There seems to be some sort of mass misconception as to what high key is.

There sure is!!

High key is not about the lighting. So often, I see HIGH CONTRAST images called high key. They are not.

High key is about content. Aggressor got it right with the white background, but the clothing is "out of key."

Like Mike was saying, everything in the composition.... clothing, props and background are white (or very light in tone) for high key portraits.

-Pete

I think there are misconceptions about quite a few things. High Key is not just photographing someone on a white background.

Most reactions

Back