high mileage car, any record???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by schumionbike, May 23, 2008.

1. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just want to see if anyone out there drive really old and dependable car out there. I just got a car from my aunt and it is a Toyota Camry with 165,000 miles on it with no major change. Anyone beat that??? I sure there are but I just want to see by how much, lol.

2. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We have a Chevy Cavalier that has over 210,000 miles and is still going strong. We paid $3,000. for it in 2003 and we still have it. It might need a repair here and there, the AC no longer works and it has a cracked windshield. But it drives! And it is still good on gas too.

3. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although it was technically only half of a car, since most of it had rusted away, I sold my car with 247,000 miles on it (400,000 kilometers). It was a 1987 Acura (Honda) Integra. I bought it for 600 bucks, drove it for 50,000 miles and sold it for 300 bucks 3 years later. I figured it out to be 8 dollars a month... :)

My dad had a 1980s Toyota truck fetish or something, so we at one point had 3 Toyota 4x4s. Their combined mileage was 625,000 miles... :)

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Last time I checked, my father's 1989 camry was just over 250k.... and then it died. He's pretty hard on the car too... Diesels will beat that with no problem.

5. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just about to buy my first car - $3500, 2000 Protege, stickshift :D. In pretty decent condition, 132,000 km, only reall yneeds to be cleaned. New brakes too as of this week. Should have it within the week, once the paperwork gets organized :) weeee

6. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My best friend's Honda Accord 1986 vintage had 320,000 miles on board when he sold it for next to nothing. It was still running ok.

7. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    My '97 Chrysler Concorde has just under 150,000 on it. Still runs great. *knocks on wood*

8. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Mine could probably have a go at some of these numbers but I won't comment. ;)

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I once sold my old Volkswagen, for what would have been at that time 100 dollars. I thought it would die soon since it had already over 120 000 miles. But the happy buyer was still driving it alot for many years and then sold it! And many years, after that second sale I still saw it in town. Unfortunately I do not know the mileage, but it must have been biblical ....

10. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have had my current car for 8 years...it's a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and it has 230,000 miles on it. It had 84,000 when I got it.

I'm just praying it lasts me one more year until I go off to a 4 year college, preferably in a city where I won't need a car!

11. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a 10 year old Suzuki Alto FX. It had been clocked as the digits didn't line up properly until it hit 78K. I bought it at 48K and drove it to 98K. I reckon that by the time I scrapped it, it must have had 120k of real miles on it. Not bad for a car with a 3 cylinder aluminium engine. I loved the economy - 47mpg.

I only scrapped that one when the cylinder head gasket blew. I bought a new gasket and replaced it but the head being aluminium had warped and the cost of having the head skimmed was more than I figured the car was worth. I scrapped it and went over to a bicycle as where I lived it was possible to cycle to the places I went in just about the same time as the bus or driving.

12. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A couble of my uncle have long lasting car too, a stick Saab with 230,000 miles. Another was running with a BMW with over 200,000 but we weren't exactly sure because the odometer broke. He then trade the Bimmer in for a minivan, lol.