High quality ultra-wide angle DX lens

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a ultra-wide angle lens for crop sensors with little distortion, sharp (85mm 1.8g levels of sharpness) from corner to corner. Do you know of such a lens? :abnormal:

what is your idea of wide angle, 10mm, 12mm, 18mm ?? i cant be of much help on this subject but knowing what mm lens you are looking for will probably get you better answers.

Thanks, i should have specified. The sigma 18-35 for example is a wide angle lens. Now i'm looking for a ultra-wide angle lens. Ultra means: beyond. So I need a lens that is much wider than the 18-35, something between 11-16 millimeters.

Could you give some examples of shots that you needed corner to corner elite levels of sharpness on an ultrawide? Or possibly show us some of your extra large prints that you did?

Get a D810 and a 14-24 f2.8 Nikon lens if you want ultra sharpness. I see you're continually holding off, waiting for the best of the best of everything, but you're not willing to buy the best of the best. This really is confusing. You get what you pay for.

Your 11-16 Tokina is/was great. If for some reason you really like corners, look to the Sigma 10-20, or if you want just a tiny step up the Nikon 10-24.

This Sigma 1020 is pretty good and you can pick up a used copy for fairly cheap.

14418904691_9a7c29a0df_b.jpg

@PaulWog
The Nikon 10-24 is a lens i forgot about, i'll look into that.

You already know that answer.
What type of (re)confirmation are you looking for ?

I guess this is too wide for your requirements --> Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 Fisheye Nikkor lens
I've changed some decisions i made previously because i want to spend more on lenses. I just want to cover all my bases before i make any decisions in the ultra wide area.

Could you give some examples of shots that you needed corner to corner elite levels of sharpness on an ultrawide? Or possibly show us some of your extra large prints that you did?

Get a D810 and a 14-24 f2.8 Nikon lens if you want ultra sharpness. I see you're continually holding off, waiting for the best of the best of everything, but you're not willing to buy the best of the best. This really is confusing. You get what you pay for.

Your 11-16 Tokina is/was great. If for some reason you really like corners, look to the Sigma 10-20, or if you want just a tiny step up the Nikon 10-24.
The only reason i wanted to upgrade to full frame is because of the lack of quality ultra-wide lenses on the crop camera, that's it. After going back and forth on the d750 & d610, i just finally made up my mind to just not get them and hope someone knows a good crop ultra-wide angle lens. The d610 & d750 are a disappointment for me personally. I'll just wait till nikon releases a full frame camera i want for around 3 grand. Perhaps someone knows a quality ultra-wide crop lens? It never hurts to try and ask people more knowledgeable.

The 10-24 is a pretty neat lens, but it is nowhere near what i'm looking for.

The only reason i wanted to upgrade to full frame is because of the lack of quality ultra-wide lenses on the crop camera, that's it. After going back and forth on the d750 & d610, i just finally made up my mind to just not get them and hope someone knows a good crop ultra-wide angle lens. The d610 & d750 are a disappointment for me personally. I'll just wait till nikon releases a full frame camera i want for around 3 grand. Perhaps someone knows a quality ultra-wide crop lens? It never hurts to try and ask people more knowledgeable.

The 10-24 is a pretty neat lens, but it is nowhere near what i'm looking for.

Had to click the disagree there. If the 10-24 Nikon lens is nowhere near what you're looking for, then even the 14-24 f2.8 Nikon lens won't be good enough for you...

Also, didn't you spend 6+ months on the forum talking about how you want to do low light photography, and how you needed f1.4 or even quicker? Full frame gets you more than a full stop of ISO performance. I'm confused, since it seems you want one thing, then the next month you want something new... are you sure you know what you want?

You said the Nikon D750 and D610 are disappointments for you... I think the D750 is really nice, it's basically what the D610 should've been & it's at the correct price-point on release... but get the D810 then... aside from its burst rate, it's essentially the best full frame format camera in existence.

What this feels like is taking someone shopping on a $15,000 budget for a car, and that person wants 80 miles to the galon & 600 horsepower in their car, they want the name "Lamborghini" to come along with it, they want it to go from 0 to 100 in 3 seconds, they want to seat 12 people, and they want the car to be able to fit in a small parking spot, and they want best rated safety & a 10 year warranty. But they're willing to compromise and not get the 8-speaker package over the stock 6-speaker package...

Last edited:
The d810 is out of my budget, it costs over 4 grand here.

Had to click the disagree there. If the 10-24 Nikon lens is nowhere near what you're looking for, then even the 14-24 f2.8 Nikon lens won't be good enough for you....
Is there something i missed? I looked at the specs, reviews & samples across its aperture & focal lengths, it doesn't measure up with its full frame counterpart. I'm not here to argue, i just want a nice ultra-wide crop lens.

Had to click the disagree there. If the 10-24 Nikon lens is nowhere near what you're looking for, then even the 14-24 f2.8 Nikon lens won't be good enough for you....
Is there something i missed? I looked at the specs, reviews & samples across its aperture & focal lengths, it doesn't measure up with its full frame counterpart. I'm not here to argue, i just want a nice ultra-wide crop lens.

Then just get the 14-24/2.8 and be done with it.

Most reactions

Back