High School Kids Trying to Look Bad

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Summer of scanning old film continues... This was a hard one taken opportunely in very bad light. Not sure I've been able to successfully salvage it with modern digital processing.

Joe

joint.jpg

This is fantastic!

Pretty much -- early '80s would be my best estimate. These are from a series I stated around '78 and finished around '85.

Joe

Haha, Nothing says badass like a Members Only jacket.

Nice shot, I think the quality is there. Did you hit that roach?

Yep, I couldn't help laughing at them -- they're trying so hard and failing so bad.

Thanks, Gray's right it lacks contrast. It was a real fight to get it to here with the backlight, film original and dark faces. I think I'm going to have to just give up a little more in the faces for the overall benefit.

Joe

Yep, I couldn't help laughing at them -- they're trying so hard and failing so bad.

Thanks, Gray's right it lacks contrast. It was a real fight to get it to here with the backlight, film original and dark faces. I think I'm going to have to just give up a little more in the faces for the overall benefit.

Joe
I can see all that ... I could see you working those sliders over and over again. I was thinking you should mask off the background, then selective add some contrast to the various elements of the subjects ... A smidgeon at a time ... It doesn't need a lot of contrast, the faces needs a very slight tweak to be spot on, the torsos seem a bit distractingly light ... So maybe just a slight burn on the left jacket and shirt. Is this cropped any? If it wasn't cropped, is it possible to scan outside the frame and include one of those Henri Cartier-Bresson borders?

Joe
I can see all that ... I could see you working those sliders over and over again. I was thinking you should mask off the background, then selective add some contrast to the various elements of the subjects ... A smidgeon at a time ... It doesn't need a lot of contrast, the faces needs a very slight tweak to be spot on, the torsos seem a bit distractingly light ... So maybe just a slight burn on the left jacket and shirt. Is this cropped any? If it wasn't cropped, is it possible to scan outside the frame and include one of those Henri Cartier-Bresson borders?

Thanks, did all that already. I may have to re-visit the scan, right now I'm trying to just do a single scan for expedience. This one may need a double scan.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back