High School Senior Portraits, First Timer..c&c please

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never taken pictures of a teenager before. I mostly photograph children and families so this was a stretch for me, but I LOVED it. I hope to be able to get into this market someday. Please tell me what you think of these photos. I actually had three girls (my babysitter and two of her friends) model for me, but only have permission from one mom so far to post. Here is the one and hopefully I can post some of the others another day. Thank you!

IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

They each have a lot of good things going on, but I think the 3rd on is the strongest image.

In the first one, her awkward hand/arm position is rather distracting.
In the 2nd one, her arm/shoulder are just as or brighter than her face. I think it would be stronger if her arm wasn't so bright.

Thanks Mike. That's really helpful! I was unsure about the arm position, so that it's important for me to know that others think it looks awkward. I wouldn't have even considered the arm being as bright/brighter than her face was an issue, but now I see it. Thanks so much.

When shooting portraits like this, try to remember that a viewer's eye will naturally go to the brightest area of a photo, or the area of greatest contrast. And of course, with a portrait, you want the viewer's eye to flow to the face of the subject.

This is also the reason why it's a good idea to 'key' (match) the model's clothing to the background. You don't want the model's shirt to be the brightest or most eye catching part of the photo, so if the clothes match the background, then the eye will naturally be drawn to the face.
You also want to avoid patches of skin that could create big bright areas...like shoulders, the back of hands etc.

Boy Linda, you've come a long way!
Nice work.
Now you have to teach me how to use my flash. LOL

#3 is a great image. It captures her features beautifully and it feels very warm. I'm anal retentive so I would have cloned that mole on her chest out, but then again that would probably offend her to no end.

Hi David,
Thanks for the comment! As far as using the flash, I've been following Neil VanNiekerk's blog for almost a year now, read his book (and many others), I've been practicing as much as possible, but I still suck. Better luck to you! ;)

Big Mike,
Thanks again. I've been taking pictures of mostly babies/children who run off quickly so actually taking the time to set up a shot is new territory for me. Posing, considering arms/shoulders, etc...ALL NEW. Thanks for your help. Next time I will be more tuned in. This is why this forum is so useful.

#3 is a great image. It captures her features beautifully and it feels very warm. I'm anal retentive so I would have cloned that mole on her chest out, but then again that would probably offend her to no end.

Thanks! I know what you mean about the mole. She actually has a couple more right under her jaw on her neck. I considered cloning, but I wasn't sure if it would go over well (especially with the mom). Anyone know the protocol on something like this? Is it rude to ask in the first place? I didn't really notice it until I was home editing the pictures, but for the future.. what do you all do?

I'd clone the one out on the third shot. You could argue it wasn't visible, hidden by the jaw line. It is something to pay attention to when posing, I guess, to see if you can pose the blemishes away. Just a thought.

I'd clone the one out on the third shot. You could argue it wasn't visible, hidden by the jaw line. It is something to pay attention to when posing, I guess, to see if you can pose the blemishes away. Just a thought.

I think you're right about the mole on her chest in the third picture. I could easily clone it and I doubt they would think about whether or not it would have been visible.

I like #3...#2 would be better if the flower bush was prettier but I know its winter you only have so much to work with! #1 I am just too distracted that she could get a splinter...lol

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to point this out. It bothers me that the girl has a cell phone or something in her pocket in #1. Is this something you would normally tell the subject about? Ask them to remove distracting items.

Nice images.

IMO for the moles in #3, I think you could remove the one under her chin and no one would notice since it is riding the angle between visible and not. The one on her chest I might just tone down, either by cloning out and then bringing it back a little and/or matching the color of it to her skin more--it is a bit distracting, a single reddish blotch in the middle of her white chest.

In #1, I would have insisted she wears more covered footwear. It is popular sentiment that few feet look good photographed; they are a rather awkward gangly shaped body part. And if they must be photographed, to get the model on her toes in order to arch the foot and create some pleasing curves.

Again, nice images. I am just being super picky on my tastes. A personality and comfort is definitely coming through the images and they overall look great.

I wouldn't remove the mole in #3. Rather tone it down by dodging it so it reduces contrast. It belongs to her and if it's not a fashion shot I'd leave it.

Lighting looks good but as others have mentioned especially in #1 the white shirt is working against you. It's blown and kills the shot. Pose also looks awkward. The lighting otherwise is fine.

In #2 she appears to leaning into the plant, could be because the shot is not leveled. The doorway or wherever she is leaning against seems to be crooked. It would work the way it is if she was a gardener working on the plant touching the leaves or something but this way it looks a bit weird.

These are "just" issues with the models/poses and has nothing to do with the overall technical quality of your images which looks fine to me.

#3 is a very good photo! You nailed it!

Most reactions

Back