High Tide C&C

TimmyJP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a trip to the beach at high tide. Technically it isn't the seaside, it's actually an estuary. I live right on the mouth of the River Humber (UK).

First time playing with water and the beach, it was just getting to twilight when I was shooting, and I continued until it was far too dark to carry on. Unfortunately I'm on the East coast so I didn't get a sunset over the river, maybe one day I'll get up early for a sunrise!

I'd appreciate any comments and tips for next time!

DSCF8728copy.jpg

DSCF8733copy.jpg

DSCF8751copy.jpg

DSCF8830copy.jpg

#5 A lot of people come and fish along the beach at high tide.
DSCF8865copy.jpg

DSCF8901copy.jpg

Many thanks for looking!

Timmy

#1 - I like the tonal values you have here, they compliment the subject, and the subject itself is visually interesting (I swear that looks like a lamp in the water, although I know it's a sign), but I think that the balance is off. Given this subject, a head on approach - showing the subject running straight out from the center of the frame - might have had more impact. It would have lead the eye along to the end and the vertical line would have made an interesting contrast to the horizontal line of the horizon.

#3 - If you had caught a ship out there in the distance in the right side of the image it would have helped balance this. As it is now, there is nothing in the right side to add any visual interest, so my eye does not really wander over there at all, and the image feels off balance. The light sky pulls my eye along the pilings out into the image, but the tonal value of the pilings are not strong enough to pull it back again. I like the idea you presented here, but I think that it could be stronger.

- Randy

#1 - I like the tonal values you have here, they compliment the subject, and the subject itself is visually interesting (I swear that looks like a lamp in the water, although I know it's a sign), but I think that the balance is off. Given this subject, a head on approach - showing the subject running straight out from the center of the frame - might have had more impact. It would have lead the eye along to the end and the vertical line would have made an interesting contrast to the horizontal line of the horizon.

#3 - If you had caught a ship out there in the distance in the right side of the image it would have helped balance this. As it is now, there is nothing in the right side to add any visual interest, so my eye does not really wander over there at all, and the image feels off balance. The light sky pulls my eye along the pilings out into the image, but the tonal value of the pilings are not strong enough to pull it back again. I like the idea you presented here, but I think that it could be stronger.

- Randy

Thanks a lot for the in depth critique! It's much appreciated.

I'm fairly sure I have a similar picture to what you are describing for #1, I will find it and post it up asap :)

I agree with what you say about #3, I tried a few different crops to see if I could make it more stimulating, but couldn't really get anything.

Thanks again,

Timmy

Photos 1,2,and 3 are all very,very nice. I like the first one quite a bit, the second one a little less so, the third one less so, and as another poster said, #4 isn't quite doing it for me.

I think the mysterious feelings conveyed in the first two photos are quite nice.

The longer exposure times add a lot to the mysterious feeling. Well-done!:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back