HighSchool Photography class

dustman91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well.... After getting screwed over on my classes this year, I decided I was going to take photography for a class since I had the spot. I am pretty sure that I have to use a 35mm camera for the class. I am just wondering what is a good camera to get, that will take awesome pictures, for a reasonable price. Also, any tips as far as what to look out for and what not to get.

Sorry if I asked a question someone has asked before.

thanks,
Dustin

We get this question quite a lot, anything that gives you full manual control over what you are doing should fit the bill. Both Canon and Nikon offer a full range of easy to use film cameras for pretty much every price bracket, I've heard good things about the Canon 300X (name might be different outside of the UK) which costs £180 here in the UK and should do everything you need it to for lessons. The other option of course is to cruise ebay for a higher spec second hand camera.

I used a Pentax K1000 when I was in high school. Inexpensive, and a good learning camera.

try to find yourself a manual camera. They are best to learn on. When I started out taking picture with the camera my father gave me I learned how to use it in less than a half hour. My camera is a Minolta Srt 201 it take beautiful pictures better then any autofocus that I have ever seen. Older camera let you learn photography without the pain of menus and buttons that you have no idea what they are for. Plus if you get a camera from the 60s or 70s and earlier (some where around that time frame) they were built extreamly well. My father told me that when he had the camera he accidently left it on the roof of the car and drove away. It fell and didn't do a thing to the camera. Drop a new camera and it will be worthless pieces. So look for an old one I suggest a minota srt 101, 102, 201, or a 202.

Most reactions

Back