Highspeed question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Morckman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Morckman

Morckman TPF Noob!

Hello I am doing an engineering project and I have to measure the rotation of a golf ball being hit off a Tee. Now I am not too familiar with high speed cameras so I am asking for a little information. What would be the min FPS needed to slow down a golf ball enough to measure the rotation and does anyone have any suggestions of a good camera that would help me do this. Any info would be great!!!

thanks very much

-Morckman

2. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For what you need, you are better off using a high speed camera then pulling frames. Even if you had a D3s or something, 11fps won't be enough to capture the rotation of the golf ball off the tee.

3. bonobo_slr

bonobo_slr TPF Noob!

But maybe if you took some HD video with a capable dslr, that would give you up to 60 frames per second at 720p at least in the case of the canon 7D

4. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Casio High Speed EXILIM EX-FC100

Yes, it's a point and shoot, but it's fairly inexpensive, and can shoot up to 1000 fps in pretty low quality video. It'll do some slower speeds at slightly better video. Unless you're looking for HD quality video, this will probably be the cheapest solution to the problem.

5. bonobo_slr

bonobo_slr TPF Noob!

Just from the link :
    Max Shutter Speed 1/40000 sec

WOW!

6. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    First you probably need something like this. (Don't buy it, rent it) You are going to need a whole lot of fps. There isn't a still camera made with that kind of fps to get the job done.

Second you will need to determine the approximate speed of the golf ball that you intend to use for your tests. (Physics to determine the ball speed) Phil Mickelson Ball speed is approximately 78 mph.

For a good sampling, you are going to need a mechanical striking device (robotic armature of some kind) that can reproduce the exact same swing, and strike on the exact same location on a golf ball, so you have consistent rotation. Knowing the average speed of a golf ball as determined by your test subject allows you to dial in the robotic armature to the same speed.

Finally you are going to need a supply of the same balls all marked with an identical pattern to be able to determine the rotation from the video.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm going to second this!

All the videos that I've seen that can stop the action are done with high speed video cameras running at a tremendous frames per second. There's a show on the the Discovery Channel (I think it's that one) that sets up experiments to stop the motion and they have caught some amazing things. They have put fast video recorders along side these extremely fast video recorders and the fast ones usually miss the event their trying to capture.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    From that link:

9. Morckman

Morckman TPF Noob!

I think the casio EXLIM would be sufficient enough it has capabilities for 1200 fps and lighting should not be a problem. The fact that the resolution isn't the greatest is not the big worry just the FPS. I already made the mechanical arm this is the last part of the experiment

10. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Geez, I wanted the OP to read the article. This is like telling everyone the butler did it.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: