Hiking and taking pictures

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by zedin, Nov 27, 2005.

1. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am just curious how often this happens to other folks because it always happens to me. I go somewhere to go hiking and tell myself I want to hike in a few miles to get some good shots of stuff most folks never see since they hike in maybe 1 mile max. However it seems like I can never get down the trail because I am always taking pictures. I just can't seem to pass up something that looks nice and never get down the trail which gets annoying. I end up with pics I like but still can't seem to ever make my goal for where I wanted to end up at for pictures.

I guess I can always keep my camera packed away but I am still too tempted to stop and shoot.

2. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that happens to me all the time. Next summer i'm determined to do a long hiking trip so I actually get some photos further down the road.

3. zedin

Photos OK to edit
    I um.. tried that once.. got really wierd looks since I setup my camp like 4 miles from the trailhead.. but thats as far as I got all day taking pics.

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds familiar! My husband and I recently took a trip out West, hiked around Bryce Canron and the Kodachrome Basin areas. We were loaded and ready to shoot from as many aspects of these places as we could reach. But we barely scratched the surface, we kept stopping and setting up. :lol:

If you really have a "destination point" you want to shoot, you just have to keep your head down and trudge on until you reach it. You can always get those shots along the trail on the way back out. ;)

Good luck, and happy trails! :D

5. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Grr I'm the complete opposite. I get so carried away hiking, or watching the sport game, or doing whatever that I forget to take photos.

6. Newbthatwantstogetbetter

Newbthatwantstogetbetter TPF Noob!

What i do, is when i wake up early in the morning i make myself pancakes. Then i will put the pancakes in a tupperware sandwich conatiner, and then pour the syrup and all the goodies i like on my pancakes, and then whenever i see something i like, and want to take a picture of, i eat a pancake. Then, by the time the pancakes are all done, i can start taking pictures. works for me! :)

7. Rapala46

Rapala46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    uhm....does that strike anyone else as weird?

8. zedin

Photos OK to edit
    Yep.. very wierd.. I perfer to take the time spent making the pancakes t sleep a bit longer.

9. Newbthatwantstogetbetter

Newbthatwantstogetbetter TPF Noob!

Ok. I fail to see how pancakes are weird. As long as i store them in a tupperware container, i can keep them all day long. It keeps me from taking pictures of things that aren't really what i want. MY neighbor gave me the idea and he always says whenever we go out hiking together "save the film, eat a pancake". Just trying to help you with your problem, though.

I guess another solution you could do is put your camera away and make it hard to access, and this way you wont take it out until you've gone far enough. I honestly think its weird that you have this problem in the first place!!!

10. panzershreck

panzershreck TPF Noob!

you could hike without the camera first, that way you get used to discriminating between the "interesting" shots, the "in-the-moment aesthetically pleasing" shots, and the "truly great" shots, by simply not taking any at all

11. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course then you would stumble across bigfoot or a UFO landing and not have your camera. I have my camera with me at all times now. My wife gets jealous i think.

12. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bring lots of film/memory, and allow lots of time :p