Hiking Backpack

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay all, looking for some more advice. I live and work in Vermont and need a Photo Backpack for Hiking. Preferably able to fit a D500, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm lenses with room for extra gear (Manfrotto BeFree Tripod and NiSi V5 Filter System for sure)...a water reservoir option would be perfect!

Under $200 preferred

www.cambags.com

Plug in your gear and see what pops up. From there read the reviews, look at the examples and then go to a real brick and mortar store and try out the ones you are interested in. Nothing, and I mean nothing is more aggravating then a backpack that does not ride well on your particular body.

Okay there is one thing that can be more aggravating, but I'm to old to carry my wife around on my back these days.

I've tried a variety of packs over the years and for real hiking trips, i.e. . ten plus miles of hiking a single track trail I've found regular hiking day packs from outdoor stores, such as REI, to be the best. I use a combination of small camera inserts and plastic tupperware containers to pack my photo gear. The real benefit is that on a real hike, food, extra clothing, water, etc.. are more important and most camera packs forget this. This also allows you to move to different size packs with your gear should you want to go on a multi-day backpacking trip.

Regular hiking packs ride so much better than photo packs. As far as recommending one specific - no it's all about fit. Go to your local outdoor's store and try a bunch on, maybe even load them up in the store with some weight.

I've tried a variety of packs over the years and for real hiking trips, i.e. . ten plus miles of hiking a single track trail I've found regular hiking day packs from outdoor stores, such as REI, to be the best. I use a combination of small camera inserts and plastic tupperware containers to pack my photo gear. The real benefit is that on a real hike, food, extra clothing, water, etc.. are more important and most camera packs forget this. This also allows you to move to different size packs with your gear should you want to go on a multi-day backpacking trip.

Regular hiking packs ride so much better than photo packs. As far as recommending one specific - no it's all about fit. Go to your local outdoor's store and try a bunch on, maybe even load them up in the store with some weight.
Agreed. I hike a lot with and without the camera. I have a Lowepro camera bag that is meant for hiking but as said earlier, it does not ride as well as your regular, quality pack.

Another vote for REI.

I don't carry all my photo stuff for anything. I'm selective with lens, body, flash and accessories and which ones I bring for a particular situation. Constantly re-arranging all those velcro dividers for each outing just gets annoying. I have separate pouches for everything: lenses, bodies, etc. So I just grab the things that I want for a particular trip and dump it in the bag. Yeah, it's not as neatly organized as a dedicated camera backpack, but I'm typically carrying much more anyway (like water, food, first-aid, rope, knife, windbreaker).

For more "business" things, I do have a couple dedicated camera bags, which look more professional (and wouldn't fall into the backpack category).

I absolutely agree with this. I have used a couple of the larger LowePro camera back packs which have a sleeve for a good size water bladder and sufficient space for camera equipment, but JeffW indicates no room for food and other special needs for longer hikes. Also as JeffW said they are not a comfortable as a backpacking pack.

Have you considered just getting a camera insert for your existing pack. Something like an Ape Case Cubeze. It would be a lot less expensive. I've never really liked any of the camera specific backpacks, particularly for serious hiking. You could get one for less than $20.

I have the Rover Pack from Topo for day hikes/walks it fits my Blad and spare lens and a tripod no problem (a small tripod at that) or my D3300, tripod and lenses. The build quality is great and they are made in the US which is neat. Its not a strict photo backpack but its high quality and will last. The laptop sleeve easily fits the pouch from my camelback and i just run the tube out the top. Its 160$ retail and they have some slightly bigger options for under 200$ as well.

Regards
Dave

I want to support the posts that said "get a day pack and put an insert inside it"...I think that's the way to go. I've got a couple of different inserts and they go in to a variety of different devices (from a messenger bag to a day pack to a multi-day pack).

I want to support the posts that said "get a day pack and put an insert inside it"...I think that's the way to go. I've got a couple of different inserts and they go in to a variety of different devices (from a messenger bag to a day pack to a multi-day pack).
I actually just use my vietnam era Alice Pack. It can support and distribute extensive weight with it's frame, and I just put my lenses with their cases in the pack and cameras. Plus I carry my hiking supplies with me too (food and cooking stuff and bad weather stuff just in case).

I hike just over the border from you in the whites, learn from my mistakes and wasted money and buy an actual hiking bag and buy an ICU for your camera gear. I've bought and tried out numerous camera backpacks that are supposed to be for hiking, and they're never very supportive or have room for much gear besides camera stuff. I'm currently using the lowepro whistler 450, but soon I'll be grabbing an osprey atmos 65 and using the camera compartment from the lowepro bag.

Most reactions

Back