Hiking camera bag

herky873

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for recommendations for a camera backpack. I will have my dslr w a lens attached and two other lens. Also a flash filter kit and filters that screw into lens. I want to be able to put my tripod on it as well. I was hoping to be 150 or less. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

There are threads that have covered this in the past, you can use the search tool to find them- just something to keep in mind for the future.

I have the Clik Elite Escape, which I believe was around $175. I have my 6d with tamron 150-600 attached, my tokina 16-28, canon 24-105, filters, flashlight, bunch of small random stuff, and it holds my tripod. Comfy to hike with and good support. I definitely recommend their products

There are threads that have covered this in the past, you can use the search tool to find them- just something to keep in mind for the future.

I have the Clik Elite Escape, which I believe was around $175. I have my 6d with tamron 150-600 attached, my tokina 16-28, canon 24-105, filters, flashlight, bunch of small random stuff, and it holds my tripod. Comfy to hike with and good support. I definitely recommend their products
I just looked at this one online and it looks like it siwa have some extra room in it (most I've looked at don't). Could you give an idea as to how much extra space is in it for non-camera stuff such as a first aid kit and other common hiking/safety supplies?

I just looked at this one online and it looks like it siwa have some extra room in it (most I've looked at don't). Could you give an idea as to how much extra space is in it for non-camera stuff such as a first aid kit and other common hiking/safety supplies?

It depends on how much camera gear you put in, but there's not a ton of extra room. But for your budget of $150 there aren't many good options. You want to do if right? Check out the fstop bags.

I'm a huge fan of my LowePro Vertex 200AW. It's a large bag, but can hold a ton of gear. I've hiked many a hour with it, up and down mountains, and never had an issue [emoji5]️

i also want to take water, some food, first aid, and other hiking essentials. i really want an f-stop backpack but they are expensive. look like enough room for all camera gear you would want plus other hiking essentials.

Have you looked at the MindShift bags? They are made specifically for hiking landscape shooters.

I have a Lowepro RoverPro 45L AW and it's fantastic. It's huge, but it's fantastic. It carries all my gear listed below and also has room for a sleeping bag, 1-person tent, food, and a Camelback-type bladder. There's a smaller version as well if you don't need to haul as much gear and a tent and a sleeping bag.

Here's a good review of the RoverPro.

Review: Lowepro Rover Pro Adventure Photo Backpack | Dan Bailey's Adventure Photography Blog

Carrying Capacity
Just how much gear can the you fit inside the Rover Pro? I have the smaller, 35L version and I was still able to fit the following inside the pack:
  • Nikon D700
  • 24mm lens
  • 85mm lens
  • SB-800 flash, plus accessories
  • Sleeping bag
  • Stove
  • Clothing, including puffy, rain jacket, fleece and extra shirt
  • Food, easily enough for 2-3 days
  • Tripod
  • 2L hydration bladder
Outside it will fit a tent and sleeping pad, plus trekking poles, ice axe. With the larger 45L version, add a 15″ laptop and even more camera toys, personal gear and food. With either size, and depending on how you pack, you definitely have enough room for short and/or streamlined overnight trips, if not longer excursions.

Thanks! I'm not the OP but this info will definitely be a help for me. I normally only do day hikes as my knees won't handle too much more than that but I don't like going unprepared. I looked at these bags online but it is so hard to tell how much will fit without actually seeing it and none of my local shops have them in store.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back