Historical Main Street C&C

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by BlueEyes01, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BlueEyes01

BlueEyes01 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    1[​IMG]
    2[​IMG]

3[​IMG]

4[​IMG]

Your opinions/reccomendations welcome!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I'd like #1 but it's a bit on the small side so it's tough to tell. #4 sticks out as my favourite, lots of great detail. It could really do with some contrast though (as could they all), it looks a little washed out.

3. BlueEyes01

BlueEyes01 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank You! I went back & applied more contrast and it really did make them pop more. (improvements not displayed) I guess sometimes I'm just afraid of messing with them too much. I appreciate your advice.

Any other thoughts?

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the subjects are pretty good but there is a LOT of noise in a lot of these. Surprising at ISO 800. They also appear to be a bit washed out but some contrast and saturation in post processing might fix that. I think I like the subject in 3 the best but it appears to be a bit out of focus.

You might just be bumping up against limitations of your camera- not sure.

5. BlueEyes01

BlueEyes01 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Chris! I did some cropping in #1-3 so that could explain some of the noise especially seeing its a 7mp camera. I agree I'm probably also bumping against limitations in my camera, I'm researching hard on which one to buy. Leaning towards the Nikon D80 even though I would love to be able to afford the D300. I'm just waiting on my purchase until the hubby gets a steady job, with construction being down, he's getting a job here and there but nothing steady right now.

I want a new camera so bad I can taste it! I feel like I am beating my head against the wall too! :confused:

6. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    hehe, well reaching the limits of your camera is kind of a cool thing... means you've learned a lot, right?

I have the D300, but the D80 is a great camera. It's a good transition from a point and shoot as well, so you should do well with it.

7. BlueEyes01

BlueEyes01 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats a great, positive way to look at it! I do feel like I've learned so much but I've really been doing some homework and practicing a lot.

What kind of lens would you recommend me getting with the D80 if I plan on doing family, baby, senior portraits? Thats one reason I decided to go with a little less camera body, so that I can invest in a little glass too.

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first thing I noticed with #1 & 2 is they need tilting to show the vertical lines..... and then the washed out look. IMO with #1, the angle and direction of the shadows on the lamps is not working in your favor.

I too like #3 as well as #4, but the bird(s) being out of focus kinda kills it for me.

If you were to get the D80 and put some good glass in front of it, that will do you a world of difference. The D300 is a superb body, but the D80 is also quite friendly and will produce excellent images. BTW, I have both, so I speak from experience..... knowledge is another issue. :biggrin:

EDIT:
    Just saw your new post inquiring about lenses.

Without going over the top, I like the 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 & the 85mm f/1.8. They are all primes, but all are tack sharp and pretty fast. Everybody wants to talk about zooms, but I am assuming you have two feet at the bottom of your ankles. You can use them to zoom.

9. BlueEyes01

BlueEyes01 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see what you mean with photo #1. I really like it but knew something wasnt right, your suggestions help me to critique my own photos better!

Also thanks for the lens recommendation...I've wrote them down for when I go shopping. I do have 2 feet, but I do like to zoom in occassionaly when going to wildlife parks & the zoo, I'm guessing that these lenses will still work or is there a zoom lens that I could buy that would also work, maybe I could get one of each?

Looking online, I see that Best Buy has the D80 (body only) for $799
    A local camera shop has what looks to be the same thing for $599, could the same camera be $200 difference or am i missing something that should be as obvious as the nose on my face?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8101617&type=product&id=1158317360988

http://www.cccamera.com/products.html#DHE:Specsheet:Id:250753:Section:Specs

10. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After some time looking at prices for various photographic gear, I tend to us B&H as the yardstick for comparing prices. If other prices are too high or too low, I tend to ignore them. I bought my two bodies from a local *hangs head slightly* Wolf/Ritz camera shop. All my other gear has been through B&H or Adorama, with one exception. B&H has the D80 (body only) for $599. I also tend to stay clear of Best Buy or any other Big Box store, but that's just me.

The folks at Wolf/Ritz were very helpful and spent a great deal of time with me during my decision making process, which was a long and arduous. I also liked the idea of developing a relationship with a local shop. They were within a margin of acceptability of price that I felt comfortable with.

If you want a zoom lens, mine came with an 18-55mm kit lens, which is perfectly acceptable, but if you want to get blown away, try out a 24-70mm f/2.8. Only problem....... it's about three times the cost of the D80 body. :biggrin: My understanding is that the 18-135mm kit lens is pretty good also. But none of these lenses with a minimum aperture of ~f/3.5 will perform any magic with low light situations.

Just my 2ยข.

11. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    A nice combo for lenses might be a 18-135 and the 50mm 1.8. Combined that will cost you around ~$450 I believe. The 50mm will be great for your portraits and the 18-135 is a very flexible "catch-all" lens. (for a LOT of circumstances, anyway)

12. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the "Bang for Your Buck" avenue, this is true. However, I have found that the 35mm is more useful with indoor situations with family and friends sitting around the table, on the couch, blah, blah, blah. I can only imagine that having rugrats (way passed that one :lol:) it would pose a benefit as well. Less tendancy of scrunching in the corner to get everyone in the shot. And at f/2, the low light shots come out fairly well.

Example 35mm at f/2, SS at 1/800, ISO 2000 with only the lighter and low voltage fluorescent desk lamp directed at the ceiling as a source of light. Camera to subject distance is about 40".

Two things worth noting....... camera was a D300 (thus the high ISO) and the subject was legal. :lol: The D80 is pushing it's limits at ISO 1600.