Hit Rate, and Big Sur

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've not been on this forum for a while due to exams etc, but thought I'd get back into it today :)

I have 2 questions:

1 - what is your "hit rate" for keepers after a photo trip? (By keepers, I mean ones that you would want to post-process... I tend to keep the lo-qual jpegs of almost every shot I take :p). My PP rate is probably around 1 in 10...

2 - What do you think of these 2 pics? They are the best 2 from my recent trip to Big Sur, California.

a. Burning Rock
Sitting in a little cove, waiting for sunset behind a muckle big rock... Dunno who put the stones there, but they're cool!
D70, 18-70mm @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/8000sec, ISO 200

b. Waves at Sunset
I loved this scene while I was there, and I'm so happy at the way it turned out...
D70, 18-70mm @ 40mm, f/16, 1/250sec, ISO 200

Rocks.jpg

Waves.jpg

Hope you like 'em as much as I do!

Best regards,

Lee

Pretty cool shots. Would be ace if the sun wasn't shining through the middle of the rocks in the first for a more complete silhouette.
I'm not overlly snap happy.
I usually take more time to get the composition that i want rather than just snapping away. So my hit rate is usually about 7/8 out of 10.
Then it's just deciding which i want to post, but i keep the large majority.

Here's someone fairly snap happy writing, and someone who cannot throw things away, so I used to keep very, very many photos, but I have come to a point where bloopers never even see the light of the day, they already take the route to the bin in RawShooterEssential and don't go any further. Some make it into Conversions, less even make it through Photoshop, and you here only get to see the tiniest minimum of the things I have (taken) photos of...

You can be very happy about your two photos here, I like them and like the fact that someone must have put the stones so that at a certain time in the year at a certain hour the sun shines right through that hole. Capturing it like that made exposure fairly difficult, but I like what I see.

And I like the sunset, too. Nice rays that come out of the clouds, and the waves ... I can almost HEAR them! :D

Wow the 2nd one gives off such an epic feeling.

Noice!!! (yes I put that "o" there on purpose)

i like what you were going for on number 1, but number two is amazing the sun rays coming through and the reflection of orange on the sand are awesome

Thanks for the comments folks,

I too prefer the 2nd pic... I think it's one of the best I've taken to date :)

I've got around 400 more pics to sort through from this trip - with my hit rate, that probably means another 30-40 pics worth slapping into PS :D

Best regards,

Lee

Most reactions

New Topics

Back