Hitting the Road

Johnny Dee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im just about to graduate film school and Im going to hit the road the moment after I throw that silly looking hat up in the air. I want to bring a digital camera along to capture my travels, I've been doing A lot of research into which camera to buy. I know a lot about feature film cameras but not to much about digital still cameras I need something very durable, light, around 10 million pixel range... basically a damn good camera for around 1500-2000$. I was thinking the Canon D5, however with everything else to buy for it, it may be out of my price range, any suggestions on anything would be greatly appreciated.

hahah nvm about that
i didnt read the "Film school" bit
my bad =P

Here's the suggested decision-making tree:

1: Do you already have SLR lenses? If you already own Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus/Konica or Minolta lenses, then you ought to consider Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus/Sony camera bodies.

2. If you're going for a new system, consider the available legacy lenses. Pentax and Sony (formerly known as Konica-Minolta) have great old lenses to buy.

3. Cost - each brand has entry-level and more advances products. See who gives you the most bang for the buck - pick more than one.

4. Handling - go to stores, see what you think.

5. Package deals - pick the best lens + body combo.

If I had to start with a new system, I'd go with Pentax. Light, small, weather-sealed, a spectacular line of lenses going back many years... Also, for extra "smallness" add the 40mm f/2.0 Pancake lens to the package.

Most reactions

Back