Hockey newbie questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by (Ghastly) Krueger, Nov 30, 2006.

1. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone.
    I'm quite the newb regarding Ice Hockey. There is nothing remotely resembling pro-level in my country and my cable tv shows close to nothing... but I like it a lot!
    To the point: I'm going to Philadelphia for X-mas, and my plans include attending a live NHL game... I've done some research, but still have some questions... if any of you in the know would help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot.
    1.- I know the Flyers are going very low this season... shame. During my stay, they will play the Hurricanes (2nd in SE) and the Senators (4th in NE)... which game should I watch?
    2.- Which players in each team should I pay attention to?
    3.- What area of the arena do yo recommend? I know the seats near the glass are the best, but they will be too expensive... I guess near one of the blue lines?
    4.- What kind of souvenier is typical? I'd like a jersey and a mini goalie mask... but maybe there is something else that is cool?
    5.- How cold is in the arena? In the rinks I've been it's pretty cold, I guess it's the same here?
    6.- Any additional suggestions?
    Thanks for your answers!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never been to Philadelphia...but I have season ticket to the Edmonton Oilers :thumbsup:

#1) Go to which ever game is more convenient or interesting to you. I'd pick the Senators because they have some pretty good offensive players. (and I hate the Canes...since they beat my Oilers last year)

#2)Pay attention to whoever has the puck...you can't really watch just one or a few players.

#3)The seats near the glass are actually some of the worst...because you can only see what is right in front of you. The higher up you sit...the more you can see. In most arenas...15 to 30 rows up are the best seats. Anywhere between the blue lines is great.

#4)Jerseys are great...but they are expensive. There will be plenty of stuff for sale...get what you like, (and can afford).

#5)Most arenas are quite comfortable...especially with 16,000 people. Small arenas may be cold...but the big ones shouldn't be too bad.

#6) Get your tickets early. I don't know what it's like in Philly...but a lot of games are sold out. That being said...there should be plenty of tickets available on the internet or outside the game.

Don't go to or from your seat while play is under way...wait for a stoppage. That is just good hockey edicate.

Most importantly...have fun!

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Don't forget the most important rule!

If the puck comes over the glass at you. Don't spill your beer while trying to catch the puck. Or you will get booooo'd.

Just kidding. :)

I will just add if you want something from the game. Save your ticket stub. Most anything at the arena can be purchased at a local sporting good shop for much less.

I went to a pro baseball game one time and a guy hawking some banners, and hats. Torward the end of the game was finally yelling "would someone please buy some of this junk" . Haha, I bought a pennant from him. :)

4. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool!

Somehow I thought you'd be into this hockey thing.

Got it.

So Leo Getz was wrong...

I will! thanks for your answers.

Don't worry, my priorities are clear!
    :cheers:
    Thanks!