Holga from a Lens?

jackphoto1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was considering on purchasing a Holga when I found this site: www.thetoycamera.com They sell a lens that they claim will create the effect of a Helga on my DSLR, I was wondering if anyone here has heard of them or has purchased the lens. I’ve never heard of the company and just wanted some feedback from anyone who may already own the lens and if it really works as advertised before I buy one.

I don't...but isn't a Holga like $20-30? Even with the cost of film and developing, it seems odd to pay $100 for a lens to re-create the feel of a $20 camera. (Plus you lose a lot of the other fun - like random light leaks, colored flash, and the ability to cut the camera up into pieces and modify it). So it wouldn't really be for me - but depending on your tolerance for film development, and what you want to do with it, it might be fun.

But I'd think you should be able to get something like this for $10. (Heck, you could even buy a used 18-55 kit lens for $50, and just wail on it until it gave you the look you wanted...)

Never heard of it. Two other things you might want to check out though. Lensbaby's are quite popular for those looking for a similar effect. May want to look at that: http://www.lensbabies.com

Also, I've heard of folks taking a holga, stripping the lens off of it and super gluing it to a camera body cap w/ the hole cut out of course and achieving similar results to the holga. Might google holga mods.

what is with everyone trying to do film with digital?? the fun of having a holga is that it is crappy. film is tremendously fun, shoot with the holga. it's good to be limited at times. it puts your skills to the test.

I have shot with a holga and a boat load of retro 120 cameras many I reconfigured myselt. It is a lot of fun to shoot with old low tech gear. But remember the right subject and strong compostion are your friends with low tech equipment.

Your shots are going to be haphazard and you should be lucky as much as good since you never quite know what you will get.

Most reactions

Back