Holga Tips?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mad_malteaser, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mad_malteaser

mad_malteaser TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So my new Holga arrived in the mail yesterday, can't wait to get started. Any tips from veteran users?

2. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

3. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

Stick a piece of cardboard under the film. I think that's one of the most important rules there are. I just wreched a roll of Fuji 400 Provia film because I forgot that.

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stick cardboard under the film? :scratch: I've never heard of that one, and not any problems. What purpose does this serve?

I've run plain old Tri-X 320 through mine with no problems. Get yourself some black tape and tape the back and sides to avoid light leaks. Oh, and to keep the back from falling off. :mrgreen:

As you shoot, remember this is a toy and has no neat-o features like double-exposure prevention. Get into a rhythm you are comfortable with (click, advance film immediately) or you'll easily forget where you're at. ;)

Take the lens cap OFF and put it in your pocket the entire time you are shooting. Your viewfinder will give no indication whether it's on or off.

Fear not, it's a harmless, fun toy. Go have a blast, and post your results here! :D

5. sillyphaunt

sillyphaunt TPF Noob!

Have fun!! I just started doing Holga, and I love it. Terri has good tips. remember to tape the film counter window, especially if you are shooting 35mm, it will RUIN your film if you don't tape it good.

For the 120 film I taped the back and then just looked every time I turned the film to see when I had it on the right place.

6. mad_malteaser

mad_malteaser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool. Thanks for the tips! I better get taping up. Can't wait to start shooting!