P Bailey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
img005BW.jpg

Nikon D70
img010.jpg

Holga, Agfa APX 100 film.

Which is the better image ?

I like the square format and vignetting of a Holga, so that image wins for me.

The top isn't bad, just lacks a little drama. :D

btw.....Agfa 100 speed film, eh? I've never shot anything but 400 speed through mine.....no particular reason. But this film is yummy-looking, even on my crappy work monitor. I want some!! :D

The holga definately has the holga look... but what did you do to convert the d70 image to black and white? All the elements blend together and it seems very dark.

voodoocat said:
The holga definately has the holga look... but what did you do to convert the d70 image to black and white? All the elements blend together and it seems very dark.

I removed the color using photoshop. Probably could have been better had I spent more time on it. An interesting aspect of these two images, is when printed, the Nikon photo is far superior to the Holga.

P Bailey said:
voodoocat said:

I removed the color using photoshop. Probably could have been better had I spent more time on it. An interesting aspect of these two images, is when printed, the Nikon photo is far superior to the Holga.
Did you just convert it to grayscale or desaturate?
Try the channel mixer... I think you'll find the results much better.

Did you have a polarizer on the holga? Or a red filter or something? The reflection on the water is intense in the D70 one but nonexistant in the holga one. Maybe the plastic lens is a polarizer?

Holga hands down! But all depends on what you have done to the pictures. I mean, it would surprise me if a $50 camera would be so much better than a $750... But of course, market hype isn't all right all the time!

walter23 said:
Did you have a polarizer on the holga? Or a red filter or something? The reflection on the water is intense in the D70 one but nonexistant in the holga one. Maybe the plastic lens is a polarizer?
The Holga had no filters. The Nikon picture was taken a day later, after a light snow fall. I think the snow on the ice is what appears to be a reflection.

HOLGA, not just because i shoot all canon.. but i love film more than digital, and the picture looks more like detailed, plus the whole water issue sure kicks the digitals ass too..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back