Holga Winter Shots

well you see, i have a habit of biting them off ... so i guess i trim them... lol what are you holding in your avatar?

I like the framing on the first...I love it's tranquility and loneliness. The second just doesnt say "Misery of winter" to me...just says..."snowy day" (with holes):wink:

Why I want the photos to say "misery" is beyond me...but I wants what I wants.:heart:

For what its worth...I've never used a Holga..oh take that back I did a roll and I never developed it. Let me talk to Dear half and see what happened to it...may still be in the camera. I think it was airshow photos.....:er:

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate all the comments even the ones that don't really like them. I appreciate it.

Just a question...new to Holga's...why are the holes there? I'm guessing it's because you're using 35mm film (with the necessary kit)? With 35mm are the holes unavoidable?

only unavoidable if you dont want to crop the image. if you develop it just like a regular 35mm image and do a regular print like most 35mm images, it'll look just like a regular 35mm image. The entire piece of film is exposed though instead of just a square, so people often just print the entire piece of film instead of the standard 35mm frame.

35mm images (one last one for good measure ;-) )

Thesis- i feel that many people use holgas as an excuse to stop trying to make good or creative images and just shoot whatevers around just because they think the poorly made body will be creative for them...
(mind you, i also feel the same about pinhole photography in a lot of cases)

Your point of view is valid, but here's something alternative to think about: I begun shooting a Holga, most notible for lack of being able to drive anywhere or find any new material to shoot. This was also weeks after I began taking photography seriously. The camera was like a breath of fresh air and made me think more about the path my photography was taking. Now, I love shooting the Holga in a beautiful, scenic landscape or in a wonderfully composed portrait, as it really tends to shift away from your standard pictures. While I do not only shoot Holga (I shoot many other vintage and toy cameras) I do still often shoot my "standard/normal" cameras, but shooting a "toy" camera really adds some spice into any photographers repertoire or portfolio. It really creates a distinct image and very neat style. However, I do not like what is the "Lomo" style of photography. In this respect, you are right. I feel that most "shot from the hip" and images of that nature are less than desirable. Though, to each his own, and I'll keep shooting what pleases me.

PS -- Nothing's more fun than building your own pinhole camera!

--Dylan

Most reactions

Back