Holga?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mistakendavis, Aug 11, 2004.

1. mistakendavis

mistakendavis TPF Noob!

i just got a holga and today i got my prints back, they turned out perfect, the problem is i was going for the holga look. you know the black edges, grainy and light spots, am i doing something wrong or do i just need to give it time for it to start looking like that?

2. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont think so. My holga was doing it from the beginning. You might have gotten the only Holga that works properly! LOL!! I had to even put tape around my back seal to keep light from bleeding in to much. Did you get a modified version or the simple run of the plastic mill (that's the one I have)? Oh bleased be the toy camera makers!!!!

3. mistakendavis

mistakendavis TPF Noob!

it is the normal $15 plastic holga

4. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm... did you remove the film adapter the that changes the number of exposures from inside? That might be blocking some of the light leaks. Other than that I don't know what to tell you- sorry. I can give a few tips from experience though.

1. TAPE YOUR FLASH BATTERY IN PLACE!!! it sucks to find 12 shots lost to a fallen battery.
    2. you might want to slip a piece of folded paper under the unloading reel(the left one when looking at the rear) to keep the film roll snuggly in place.
    3. and this one was a warning I ignored from the person who introduced me to the Holga- put a piece of tape on the lense cap and connect it to the lens because you'll lose it fast. It's soft plastic and it will soon loosen up and start to fall off by itself after repeated use. My cap is MIA in a field somewhere in southern TN.

Good Luck!!! I love my Holga.

5. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Did you pop out the thing inside? If not, then they will come out pretty nice. If you want the vignetting and light leaks you have to pop it out.

Thing I read said to just go ahead and throw the lens cap away! That way, you won't accidentally leave it on, plus if the lens gets scratched or dirty it will just add to the Holga look.

I love my Holga too, but lately I am starting to think it doesn't like me too much. Nothing has been coming out right. :|

6. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I also get little or no vignetting with or without that thing in or out. :scratch: (this statement seem nasty) :shock: and the only tape I use is to hold the back on. As for light leeks they seem a little more comment with it out but not a lot. :?:

7. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Huh, interesting. I guess it really just does depend on which one you got!

8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've read that, a well, that some will have more natural vignetting than others. But it's still there. A way to help it along is in the darkroom, by dodging the middle and letting the edges naturally go darker than what they appear at first. You may have gotten prints from a lab trying to make your prints look more "normal". Ya gotta tell them, that isn't what you're after. :wink:

::sniff:: I don't get to shoot my Holga as much as I'd like.

9. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

OK, I want one! Where is the best place to pick this novelty up?

10. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

11. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Their catalog order center is across the street from work. I guess I should wander over there and check things out soon. :p

12. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

They're really fast. I placed an order late Sunday night, and it's waiting on the porch for me right now. I can't wait to get home! :D And that was just normal shipping, not 3 day or anything... and they have good prices I think. Not as cheap as adorama, but once you figure the shipping, it's cheaper. Plus they carry Arista products, which are nice and cheap. $1.99 for a roll of 120 makes me happy.