Holy Stinky Flower Batman!!!

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This flower really did stink, but it was really pretty so worth it I suppose. I don't know what exactly it is (dogwood maybe?), but it was the blooms off of a big tree.

1. 70-300 APO DG Macro @ 1:2
add5b02a.jpg

2. Reversed Macro @ 70mm
d4f91815.jpg

3. Reversed Macro @ 135mm
dcf9ccc1.jpg

4. Reversed Macro @ 195mm
9aa947fa.jpg

5. Reversed Macro @ 300mm
135950ba.jpg

Thinking about trying to print an enlargement of number 2, but unsure of how the viginette from rev. macro would look printed....haven't decided for sure yet.

C&C welcomed as always

bump. I guess nobody likes my reverse macros.

Which lens did you use in reverse? How could you get so much depth of field??? With the one I work with I usually only get millimetres of DOF.

Why do these flowers stink, I wonder?
They look like cherry blossoms to me. Many fruit tree blossoms are like these (our front garden plum trees bloom like this, too).

The first shot is with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, in macro mode which is 1:2 @ 300mm. The other two are with a 50mm f1.8 reversed on the sigma. At 70mm my DOF is actually pretty good, but I get horrible vignetting. At 300mm the DOF is razor thin and I can't even keep an entire single bud in focus (only front or back).

The second shot (1st rev. macro) is at 70mm and I've cropped some of the vignette out. The second shot is at 135mm with less vignette. Vignette isn't completely gone with this setup until around 200mm which is when the DOF gets tiny.

Give me a minute to edit one and I'll post up a 300mm shot so you can see the depth of field difference from 70mm (shot #2), to 300mm. I really like this setup though because I can really control the DOF w/ the zoom......it's just too bad about the bad vignetting.

Bump....I added 2 more photo's to the original post. 1 at 195mm and 1 at 300mm...

very cool. i have a macro but i'm going to reverse it now.

Be forewarned.....it's a little addicting (though I'm sure regular macro is too).

I had to force myself to stop reverse macro'ing for awhile and take some "normal" pictures last night.

The other thing I notice about reverse macro is dust. I'm having to clone out dust with these pictures that never, ever shows up on regular images. Seems like the dust is also magnified at a ratio of 32:1 (or whatever I'm shooting at).

Wow! These are excellent Nate. I have to try this reversed lenses sometime. Macro really has me hooked and I hardy see anything else nowdays.

The stinky flower is from the black cherry(Prunus Serotina) tree. Beautiful flowers, but smell like a bad septic tank, especially early evening. Your photos are stunning!

Most reactions

Back