Home 1-rm studio...possible?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Sharkbait, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of clearing out a room at home and trying to turn it into a very small, very low-budget studio--just a couple of lights and a background or two. Our choices for rooms are a guest bedroom that's about 11x11 or a front 'living room' that's about 12x18. The bedroom has one window facing northwest, and the front room has a double window facing northeast. Both have 9 ft ceilings.

Given those choices, which would you turn into a studio?

2. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The bigger room with more available light is better but unless you plan on putting things up and taking them down, a room that you can just set up and leave is better. I have a fully set of studio lighting that I rarely use because it is such a pain to set up and take down. Once your baby arrives, it will be an even bigger hassle.

3. SWFLA1

SWFLA1 TPF Noob!

Are you planning on primarily H&S portraits? That's about all the room you have when it's limited to a spare room.

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Wanna sell it? ;-)

Honestly, I haven't thought too far into this yet. I'd just like to have something where I have more control over lighting than a single flash and maybe have a background or two to do some portraits of Kel and the baby and friends and such...

5. SWFLA1

SWFLA1 TPF Noob!

You really don't need much room to do H&S type portraits... you'll find it a bit cramped though if you decide to go full length or any type of group shots...but still - any studio is better than no studio...

ps - had a GREAT time in Indy this weekend!

6. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Rockin, glad to hear it! Sorry about the weather. It finally broke today--Sunny and 74 all day. :D

7. SWFLA1

SWFLA1 TPF Noob!

figures.... weatherwise it wasn't that great this weekend in Indy.... but at least I didn't have to put up with a hurricane while i was there!!!

8. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I want a place to put up a one room studio so bad!!! ~Sigh~ someday....

9. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dunno why I just suggest the spare room.
    It sounds out of the way, so that it wont get in the way when people come round to visit, and you can always clear it out on special accasions when people visit.

Also...with window...I feel you have more control...well maybe more with two...im not sure :p

btw, thought this may interest you matey :) Studio kits And yes...they are jessops :p

10. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think it depends on how often you'll be taking it down and putting it up. We have used our living room for a studio and it works pretty well. Usually we just go to our clients homes and that's easier. It definately can be done!

11. Varthlokkur

Varthlokkur TPF Noob!

The problems I have run into is once you get the lighting set up it considerably cuts down on the room you have. If you can completly empty the room that will help. I would try it and see. It will work for some but once you try and photograph a family you might find yourself frustrated with the size.