Home 1-rm studio...possible?

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
My wife and I are kicking around the idea of clearing out a room at home and trying to turn it into a very small, very low-budget studio--just a couple of lights and a background or two. Our choices for rooms are a guest bedroom that's about 11x11 or a front 'living room' that's about 12x18. The bedroom has one window facing northwest, and the front room has a double window facing northeast. Both have 9 ft ceilings.

Given those choices, which would you turn into a studio?

The bigger room with more available light is better but unless you plan on putting things up and taking them down, a room that you can just set up and leave is better. I have a fully set of studio lighting that I rarely use because it is such a pain to set up and take down. Once your baby arrives, it will be an even bigger hassle.

Are you planning on primarily H&S portraits? That's about all the room you have when it's limited to a spare room.

photogoddess said:
I have a fully set of studio lighting that I rarely use

Wanna sell it? ;-)

Honestly, I haven't thought too far into this yet. I'd just like to have something where I have more control over lighting than a single flash and maybe have a background or two to do some portraits of Kel and the baby and friends and such...

You really don't need much room to do H&S type portraits... you'll find it a bit cramped though if you decide to go full length or any type of group shots...but still - any studio is better than no studio...

ps - had a GREAT time in Indy this weekend!

figures.... weatherwise it wasn't that great this weekend in Indy.... but at least I didn't have to put up with a hurricane while i was there!!!

I dunno why I just suggest the spare room.
It sounds out of the way, so that it wont get in the way when people come round to visit, and you can always clear it out on special accasions when people visit.

Also...with window...I feel you have more control...well maybe more with two...im not sure :p

btw, thought this may interest you matey :) Studio kits And yes...they are jessops :p

I think it depends on how often you'll be taking it down and putting it up. We have used our living room for a studio and it works pretty well. Usually we just go to our clients homes and that's easier. It definately can be done!

The problems I have run into is once you get the lighting set up it considerably cuts down on the room you have. If you can completly empty the room that will help. I would try it and see. It will work for some but once you try and photograph a family you might find yourself frustrated with the size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back