Home developing first results

Fun, wasn't it? :1219:

Fun, wasn't it? :1219:

Certainly was, and not that difficult either. The hardest thing was getting the film on the spool in complete darkness. Can this be done with a red safety lamp on?

I never saw a development difference between using a prewash or not prewashing. I think you need to wash the film better than three tanks fulls. Something like three to five minutes in running water (the tank under the faucet). Careful with the agitation.

Certainly was, and not that difficult either. The hardest thing was getting the film on the spool in complete darkness. Can this be done with a red safety lamp on?

Only if the film is not sensitive to red light. And if it were that way, you'd end up with very funny looking images.

NO! Film has to be loaded in COMPLETE darkness. Why no stop bath?

OK, thanks for the important info regarding the light. There was no stop bath in the starter kit I bought, and the book I followed also didn't use it. Should I get this for next time I develop?

I never saw a development difference between using a prewash or not prewashing. I think you need to wash the film better than three tanks fulls. Something like three to five minutes in running water (the tank under the faucet). Careful with the agitation.

OK, thanks. I did the pre-wash because the book I was following recommended it. Why the warning about agitation? Should I leave that part out?

Only if the film is not sensitive to red light. And if it were that way, you'd end up with very funny looking images.

OK, thanks sparky.

I haven't gone so far as setting up a darkroom yet, but I will be: DIY is a real kick!

You don't need a darkroom to develop the film. It's nice, but a dark bag will do as well.

OK, thanks for the important info regarding the light. There was no stop bath in the starter kit I bought, and the book I followed also didn't use it.

OK, thanks. I did the pre-wash because the book I was following recommended it. Why the warning about agitation? Should I leave that part out?
Regular household vinegar will work in a pinch; a lot better than just plain water, that's for sure. I never bothered with a pre-wash either, but I know people who swore by it... I definitely agree with Gary on the washing though (Missed that on my first read). I would consider 5 minutes an absolute minimum in running water. Are you using a Patterson tank, or one of the stainless-steel styles?

OK, thanks for the important info regarding the light. There was no stop bath in the starter kit I bought, and the book I followed also didn't use it.

Regular household vinegar will work in a pinch; a lot better than just plain water, that's for sure. I never bothered with a pre-wash either, but I know people who swore by it... I definitely agree with Gary on the washing though (Missed that on my first read). I would consider 5 minutes an absolute minimum in running water. Are you using a Patterson tank, or one of the stainless-steel styles?

I'll order a stop bath for next time. But If I used vinegar, what sort of amount is needed?

I have a Paterson daylight tank.

I'll wash as advised next time. Should the water be lukewarm or is cold OK? Can it be seen on my results that the washing wasn't adequate?

I'll order a stop bath for next time. But If I used vinegar, what sort of amount is needed? The couple of times I used it, I just poured it right out of the gallon container from the kitchen full strength.

I have a Paterson daylight tank. For washing, crack the lid and just run the water down the center "funnel"; 1-2 times a minute, invert it and pour all the water out.

I'll wash as advised next time. Should the water be lukewarm or is cold OK? Can it be seen on my results that the washing wasn't adequate? I always had all my fluids at the same temperature unless the manufacturer recommdended differently. The most apparent evidence of inadequate washing is the appearance of white/yellowish patches of powder on the negative, which is dried fixer.
Bear in mind... it's been a long time since I've been in a wet darkroom; things may have changed. Someone like Limr or gsgary can probably give you more up-to-date advice.

I'll wash as advised next time. Should the water be lukewarm or is cold OK? Can it be seen on my results that the washing wasn't adequate?

I prefer the same temperature for wash as what the rest of the liquids were prior to it. In my case, 68°F.

Over agitation = grain. I found that I had good negative with minimal agitation ... but start with the book then over time reduce the agitation slightly until you have the results you seek.

It acutely would not look all that funny. The early forms of photography used orthochromatic emulsions aka not sensitive to red light. There are actually a surprising number of large format photographers that use x-ray film to take pictures even though it is a orthochromatic film. X-ray film is dirt cheep and you can develop it under red light conditions.

Most reactions

Back