Home Made Back Drop Project

srinaldo86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided this morning to start a project to make a field expedient back drop. So from the moment I woke up I started planning the design and supplies. Then devoted the rest of my day to the construction and testing of it.
It wasn't as cheap as I had expected or hoped but so far I am pleased with it.

PVC Pipes & Fittings - $14.15
Six 3/4"x5' Pipes (Two of them cut to 2' 1/2")
Two 1"x5' Pipes (All cut to 1' 1/2")
Two 3/4" 90 Degree couplings
Two 3/4" Tee Couplings
Two 3/4" to 1" Tee Couplings

Lights - $23.44
Two Clamp Lights
Three Flood Bulbs

Bed Sheet - $9.99
TOTAL - $47.58

Anyways about 50 dollars and a couple beers later here it is...
IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

Yes I know the lighting is bad I'm still practicing with it. I've been bouncing off walls and shining it from different angles, figured y'all wouldn't want 300 photos of practice though.

As always, C&C Welcome.

EDIT: Removed the Plexiglas because it doesn't really have anything to do with the backdrop.

Last edited:
Looks kinda like mine! Only i added hooks to the pipe, then glued my the edge of my fabrics to pvc pipes so i could roll them up when im done..I just sit them on the hooks and then take them off and roll them up.

Oh thats pretty cool! I was trying to think of a way to make hanging the fabric on there a little easier. I have some extra PVC pipe now I might try to do something with it.

Go for it! That's the whole reason I posted it.
If you have any questions feel free to ask of course.
Honestly its pretty simple, once I had the supplies it was erected in less than 15 minutes.

lol, my husband kept telling me "Just let me build you one out of PVC pipes, it'll be so much cheaper!" Now having seen it, I probably should have let him, lmao!

Good job, It'll definitely get the job done!

Excellent post! I've been reading suggestions on the site to build one of these and taking a look at this I think I will!
Good call on the hooks Natural :)

Last edited:
Haha, let him loose!
One of the cost that I did not include is the Pipe cutter, but I still can't find where they charged me for it on the receipt.

I must admit I'm really shocked at the View/Post ratio here. 8 post 9 views... Nice!

It's for the floor... lol.
So that I can lay it on the fabric on the floor in front of the back drop to create a mirrored effect. I'm actually going to remove it now since it really doesn't have anything to do with the backdrop.

So that I can lay it on the fabric on the floor in front of the back drop to create a mirrored effect.

Oh! That makes sense.. Is it primarily for the weight or 'mirrored effect,' because then you could probably save ~18$ and cover a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil? Maybe not what you were going for, but it'll bounce some light :)

Well the mirrored effect is primarily to reflect the subject not the light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back