Home Made Back Drop Project

Hmmm... Time to go into engineering mode. I'll come up with something.

I was planning on putting the hooks facing the back so then you drape the fabric over the top and then rest the pvc pipe on the hooks.. that way the weight of the fabric is weighing on the front while the pvc is pulling back. Also I am planning on adding four more 90degree couplings and completing the base as a rectangle to give it a bit more stability, i'll post if these things worked out of course.

How are your hooks now? The way you just described was what I had in mind.

Bracing on the front would be easy enough, should work well too. Good side to side stability, as well as weight to prevent the tipping.

Been there done that. I actually used two different diameters of PVC so that the more narrow one could nest inside the larger uprights. That way I could adjust the height easily/quickly and had holes drilled each foot to put a locking peg in. Ultimately I ditched this after using it a couple of times when I decided it looked too ghetto and was too unstable. I decided I could never in good faith have a paying customer come over and see that rig. It was good enough for playing around for practice though. An easier method would just be to have a piece of PVC for a cross bar put an eye hook in each end and suspend it with chain or rope from eye hooks in the ceiling. This would eliminate the problem of stability. In the end I just broke down and bought a stand for $150. It's much more stable, durable and easier to use. It also looks a helluva lot more professional than using PVC. just my .02

Pretty cool!

I do wonder though why it seems most people use such thin PVC instead of something like 1.5" for more strength.

In the photo it looks like it's bowing just sitting there with nothing on it.

The reason I built this one is so that I can transport it easily. Where I am at now I can't bring people for photos, so I have to go to them.
Sounds like you had a pretty good idea with the adjustable height.
Could you link me to the one you purchased?

I'm with Johnboy on this one. I came very close to building my own but realized that it just wouldn't look professional enough. Also, to get enough stability, it would have to be bigger, heavier and more complex.

I bought a kit for $99 (plus shipping). It's got two heavy duty stands, a 4 piece cross bar (up to 12 feet wide) and comes in a nice travel bag. It packs down small, is easy to transport and looks perfectly professional. I can't find the one I bought, but HERE is an example on a similar one.

Amazon has one for about $120 that comes with 2 backdrops.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Muslin-Backdrops-Ravelli-Background/dp/B002S9KTAW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264788356&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Two Prism 10' x 20' 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and the Ravelli Full Size 10' x 12' Background Stand: Electronics[/ame]

This is what I have, though I'm pretty sure it was only $150 when I bought it.
Photoflex | Pro-Duty Backdrop Support Kit | DP-SHDBGSPKT | B&H
It's basically 2 very sturdy stands which could also be used as light stands if you needed them to be and a telescopic crossbar to adjust the width. It all folds down and fits in the bag which is approximately 4x4" and 4'7 long.

That's Great! I love PVC pipe! PVC pipe is one of the worlds best 2 inventions - the other is of course, duct tape... lol

I'm with Johnboy on this one. I came very close to building my own but realized that it just wouldn't look professional enough. Also, to get enough stability, it would have to be bigger, heavier and more complex.

X2. I am all about cutting costs anywhere I can, but bringing a DIY set-up into a clients home doesn't project the image (for me) that will generate referrals or repeat business. This is probably a great solution for those who are photographing inanimate objects, or for just the casual amateur, but IMO, it's only slightly more expensive for a basic background support system. Good job on your DIY though!!

That's Great! I love PVC pipe! PVC pipe is one of the worlds best 2 inventions - the other is of course, duct tape... lol
Hahaha you got that right! In fact duct tape is what I have been using to hold my bed sheet up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back