Home Reno

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone in here into home renovation?

I just got done laying strand bamboo in my living room, and I'm tired but excited. Here are some before and after photos:

Before:

I bought this house last July, and this thing had almost shag carpet and vinyl tiles. Ugh.

Before.jpg

After:

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

That was 550 sqft. We bought the floor for $1,700 with supplies. We saved about $4,000 by not hiring out. I haven't reinstalled the molding, because it is beer time. We're going to repaint and then move to the kitchen, where we're going to demo the dining area and make the kitchen fall in a bit over 350 sqft. We've been drinking the heck out of green beer bottles, and we had a company crushed them into powder for us to make green tiles for our kitchen back splash.

Anyone else doing a reno right now?

Nice job! Not doing any at the moment. In the last few years I've done both bathrooms & kitchen (back to studs and joists. Next on the list are a couple of new windows and a furnace.

Nice job! Not doing any at the moment. In the last few years I've done both bathrooms & kitchen (back to studs and joists. Next on the list are a couple of new windows and a furnace.

What kind of windows are you getting? I like the pella windows with the built in blinds. The kids are young and like to destroy, so those are the best bet and will withstand the grandchildren when that decade comes. My large living room windows will be replaced with accordion doors so that my living room can open up to the deck.

Your floor project is beautiful!

Yes, I am.

I'm in the middle of most of the second floor in this old house. Completely new bathroom and new walls dividing what was a great room for a second-floor apartment. I removed the kitchen years ago, so just now getting back to making bedrooms again.

Last week I turned up sick and couldn't do anything for over 4 days. Wasted another half day this morning at the clinic. Maybe tomorrow will be more productive.

Those are some huge windows for sure!

Your floor project is beautiful!

Yes, I am.

I'm in the middle of most of the second floor in this old house. Completely new bathroom and new walls dividing what was a great room for a second-floor apartment. I removed the kitchen years ago, so just now getting back to making bedrooms again.

Last week I turned up sick and couldn't do anything for over 4 days. Wasted another half day this morning at the clinic. Maybe tomorrow will be more productive.

Photos! I like getting ideas from other renos. As much as I'd like to remodel all of my bathrooms, it is last on the list, although ranked as 1 in level of importance in rooms to me. My wife just cleared an acre for a garden, and we need to install an irrigation system. I also have to reno my kitchen, and I have a barn outside that I will be turning into a two story saloon bar. Sigh, I wish I had more money. One day.

...What kind of windows are you getting? I like the pella windows with the built in blinds...
Locally made vinyl retrofits. No built in blinds.... I'm too much of a cheap donkey for those. Pella makes a nice window, but these are good, and since they're local the price isn't bad.

...What kind of windows are you getting? I like the pella windows with the built in blinds...
Locally made vinyl retrofits. No built in blinds.... I'm too much of a cheap donkey for those. Pella makes a nice window, but these are good, and since they're local the price isn't bad.
Local is great. My father in law owns a window business that service major manufacturer warranties, so I get them at great prices.

I'm going to go really local on my kitchen counters and hardwood floors for my second story. I had 50 red oaks excavated from my property and processed. They're drying right now for me to build floors for upstairs. We also chopped down a large black walnut that has been drying for a year for us to build butcher block counters for our kitchen. We had to clear some of our land anyway, so we wanted to recycle and be as sustainable as possible.

looks good bud. Cheers!

I removed a wall between a bedroom and pantry then added a new eat in kitchen last year. The thing with old houses around here are most weren't built to code so I had to take up the floor and re-frame. Same with the ceiling joist. I saved myself $20,000 by doing most everything but plumbing and electric

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

I needed to finish before our Christmas party. I actually finished the day of, adding kick plates under the cabinets
i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg

I removed a wall between a bedroom and pantry then added a new eat in kitchen last year. The thing with old houses around here are most weren't built to code so I had to take up the floor and re-frame. Same with the ceiling joist. I saved myself $20,000 by doing most everything but plumbing and electric

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

I needed to finish before our Christmas party. I actually finished the day of, adding kick plates under the cabinets
i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg
Beautiful!!!!! How is that stove working out for you. We are buying on of those as well, with the two ovens. I bet in came handy for Christmas.

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg
Nicely done Mike. I generally do everything but the finish work myself. Plumbing & electrical is easy, but getting a paint-ready finish on drywall, or cabinets properly hung? THAT, I will pay for! :lol:

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg
Beautiful!!!!! How is that stove working out for you. We are buying on of those as well, with the two ovens. I bet in came handy for Christmas.

Thanks, The stove is great. Its a Duel fuel range. This one has 2 electric ovens. the bottom one is also a convection oven. The top has 5 gas burners.

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg
Nicely done Mike. I generally do everything but the finish work myself. Plumbing & electrical is easy, but getting a paint-ready finish on drywall, or cabinets properly hung? THAT, I will pay for! :lol:

Thanks. In MA homeowners can do everything but electric and plumbing.

Anyone in here into home renovation?

I just got done laying strand bamboo in my living room, and I'm tired but excited. Here are some before and after photos:

Before:

I bought this house last July, and this thing had almost shag carpet and vinyl tiles. Ugh.

View attachment 100330
After:

View attachment 100331

View attachment 100332

That was 550 sqft. We bought the floor for $1,700 with supplies. We saved about $4,000 by not hiring out. I haven't reinstalled the molding, because it is beer time. We're going to repaint and then move to the kitchen, where we're going to demo the dining area and make the kitchen fall in a bit over 350 sqft. We've been drinking the heck out of green beer bottles, and we had a company crushed them into powder for us to make green tiles for our kitchen back splash.

The floor looks great. Laying flooring can really wear you down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back