Home-Schooling?

Scott put it perfectly. Homeschooling does close the doors to some social activities, but it may open the doors for others. I have never had a problem with not participating in enough social activities...recently I've actually had to cut down on a few because I participate in a little too much :). I agree with Uni that homeschooling through high-school entirely at home can be a total nightmare. I technically homeschool, but I dont do any 'schooling' at home, Ive done something similar to co-op throughout high school, and I'm also doing dual credit at the local college. That way I'm able to hang out with friends alot, and be in basically the same settings as in a public school, just with a little more flexibility and minus all the 'unpleasants'. :D

I have to say this, the public school system of teaching in this day and age, is sub par at best. If you're going to send them off to school, make sure you're picking up the slack at home.

Are there private school in america? (probably a very stupid question)

Yes, another pricey alternative. I don't think private schools are good though. For most, it's even more reason to rebel. Some of the bigest drug dealers/doers and general bad people were from private schools and socializing with other rich socialite types.

Yes, another pricey alternative. I don't think private schools are good though. For most, it's even more reason to rebel. Some of the bigest drug dealers/doers and general bad people were from private schools and socializing with other rich socialite types.

Is this not painting with an overly large brush? Sounds like a little "class envy" maybe? The vast majority of private and home schooled grads I know are very well adjusted, smart over-achievers without a history of any illegal activities.

hmmmm I don't mean to change the topic away from the homeschooling issue here.

But I agree with Bace on this. My high school was filled with drug use... simply because here were a bunch of wealthy kids who are smart but unfortunately get bored/rebel and got into drugs. Thankfully, by the end of highschool though, most people were over the whole drug thing, and had it under control... and got their lives back on track.

The public schools had other problems, even though they did have a relatively smaller drug problem. The public schools definately had/have more behavioural problems here. And it seems that the teachers there 'want' to help the kids out, but because of the beauracracy and magnitude of the state schooling system it's very hard to get anything done. In the private schools, they just focus on themselves and can deal with issues almost immediately.

My parents homeschooled me, and I would argue that I am a much better person because of it. I do admit that I felt sheltered at times, but honestly I grew to appreciate it. And my parents did let go earlier than I expected and started letting me make my own decisions in life and make my own mistakes. I really love the way my parents dealt with me (mostly...), and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

HOWEVER.

Me and my whole family are Christians, and our faith plays a huge role in our lives. I don't know where you and your family stand in that, but I know that my appreciation for homeschooling stems largely from my "religion" (gosh I hate that term). So if that's not an issue, perhaps public schooling is the best way to go for you. =) But don't forget either that you can always change your mind later. Also, most public schools will allow kids to go part time. I went part time to 7-9th grade, and I am glad I did. I just chose the classes that were toughest to do at home (math, science, that sorta thing), and it worked out really well. The school was super cooperative.

I watched a BBC documentary on home education and one of the curious things was that the younger kids spoke in a very distinctive phonetic fashion. It was quite disconcerting as they were very strange (even spooky) kids speeecking innn a funneeey voyce.

I'm sure that all the home schooled people here are perfectly normal and that this was a documentary where they'd found these peculiar people to ensure ratings. After all, a documentary saying "Everything's fine" doesn't make good TV.

To my mind the best argument against it is that school teached you how to sit there quietly and pretend you're working - something you'll probably need to do professionally for the next forty years - whilst reading your favourite forum on the internet :)

jstuedle said:
Is this not painting with an overly large brush? Sounds like a little "class envy" maybe? The vast majority of private and home schooled grads I know are very well adjusted, smart over-achievers without a history of any illegal activities.

I was generalizing of coarse. Some of the smartest people I know are also from private schools. I'm just saying that when things go BAD they seem to go REALLY bad. For the most part they're good. Just an expensive alternative.

One more thing about homeschool co-ops...
I mentioned earlier that the co-op I went to was huge, it had around 250 families. I was with that co-op since it started(it started out just 4 families getting together at the local church)
Then it grew, but what happens to a homeschool co-op that grows?
I'll tell you what happens... lol
There is another part of homeschooling, the part where the really 'bad' kids that get kicked out of schools and their parents homeschool them because of it.

So, they read about the co-op and since they don't really want to deal with them they send them there... I'll tell you what, it was the biggest joke for a loooong time.
We said it was some kind of an experement mixing the most sheltered kids with the rejects who get kicked out of the worst schools out there.... :lmao:

I'll tell you what, it was pretty funny to watch when people from totally different background collide.

This is a very interesting conversation. My situation right now is that my daughter just started kindergarten. She is rather bored with the work she is doing. They are working on very simple tasks that she has been doing since she was around 3 yrs old. What do I do? The teacher, who is rather old, doesn't even use a computer. Most of the kids in her class, I would guess, know how to use a computer better then her. The school that she goes to is one of the better in the area.

Since I am an educator, home schooling has crossed my mind, but I hesitate for fear of her losing out of the social interaction she is receiving. I will continue to teach at home, but for now, she stays in school.

The funny thing is......my only reference to home schooled kids is the national spelling bee on ESPN. And man are those kids weird. :wink:

KevinR (and others contemplating): I think it is time you start seriously looking into the programs available in your area. Despite what most people think about home schooling and the "lack" of social interaction there are plenty of programs, sports, community, other home school parents, churches, neighborhood, the list goes on. Social interaction does not only happen at school. It is a part of everyday life. Even home school field trips with other children who are home schooled is social interaction. Lunch breaks at a park that leads into a nature education class with other children. Creativity is the key to home schooling.

What is best for your children is the right thing to do. Home schooling is a huge investment of time into your children. You do not just put them on the bus and go about your day. For other children, a standard school is the best situation.

In my experiences with home schooling, the children are always better prepared for college. Some even attend college years before any standard school would have them ready. Some will argue this but with the knowledge and proper interaction activities the child will not suffer only excel.

Oh man, homeschooling co-ops... I do NOT like those. I probably don't have much of a reason, but... my ex girlfriend was big into those, and I HATED it. The one she went to seemed more to me like a cult, in all honesty. Not only did they have extremely strict rules for while kids were at school, but they made them sign papers that governed their lives away from school as well. What the crap? Seriously... They tell you who you can and can't be friends with, and how good of friends you can be. I hated that place, and everyone from it (except for my ex, obviously), so I have bad experiences with co-ops.

KevinR said:
The funny thing is......my only reference to home schooled kids is the national spelling bee on ESPN. And man are those kids weird. :wink:
dude... have you seen the public schooled kids on there??? :lmao:
They are even more weird because they try to wear what's in fashion... yet they are in a spelling bee... :biglaugh:

Verbal said:
Oh man, homeschooling co-ops... I do NOT like those. I probably don't have much of a reason, but... my ex girlfriend was big into those, and I HATED it. The one she went to seemed more to me like a cult, in all honesty. Not only did they have extremely strict rules for while kids were at school, but they made them sign papers that governed their lives away from school as well. What the crap? Seriously... They tell you who you can and can't be friends with, and how good of friends you can be. I hated that place, and everyone from it (except for my ex, obviously), so I have bad experiences with co-ops.
I've heard of stuff like that happening... but if you find a good one where it's not like that it's a great experience. (Until later in highschool when EVERYTHING sucks... :mrgreen: )

Most reactions

Back