Home-Schooling?

LittleMan said:
I've heard of stuff like that happening... but if you find a good one where it's not like that it's a great experience. (Until later in highschool when EVERYTHING sucks... :mrgreen: )

Yeah I'm sure that's not very common, but still... :grumpy: Man, it still pisses me off. Honestly, I'd say that bloody %E&#^&@$% co-op attributed to our break-up. Yes, I am still bitter about that, four months isn't THAT long of a time...

I think that the reality of the situation we're discussing is that the success of all types of schooling is relative to the individual. Some people flourish in certain types of settings. Really it's up to the parent to discover what's best for THEIR child/children.

bace said:
I think that the reality of the situation we're discussing is that the success of all types of schooling is relative to the individual. Some people flourish in certain types of settings. Really it's up to the parent to discover what's best for THEIR child/children.

yep. :thumbup:

bace said:
You got it. :thumbup:

Unimaxium said:
BTW JM/Calliope: Wasn't one of the reasons you moved to st. michael's so that you could be in a better public school system? Is it maybe not as good as you expected? Or something?

Yes, it is... either way, the kids would be working with the local school. We're just toying with the idea right now. Another thing is, as much as I love being home with the children, I also miss working (go figure :er: ). I planned on going back to work once the kids started school but I wouldn't be able to do that if I home-schooled. Their needs before mine though :D - the joys of parenthood.

Having said that, when home schooling and private schooling seem like the only option, it really make you think about the quality of the public school system.

I guess that's another topic altogether though.

bace said:
Having said that, when home schooling and private schooling seem like the only option, it really make you think about the quality of the public school system.

I guess that's another topic altogether though.

I wouldn't generalize that much. Some private schools just do not match up to the local public school. Parents need to be proactive and research the schools they send their children to (hate ending a sentence like that, especially on this topic...). Howerver, if you want a religious base, your choices are limited but there are still plenty of private or religious schools to choose from in a given area.

Oh yeah...forgot another person I know that is home-schooled...my little cousin! (not very close to them, and only see them a few times a year). He started out in public school in kindergarten, but his mom pulled him out. He's a gifted child...EXTREMELY smart. He could read better than most 3rd graders when he was in kindergarten, as well as knowing how to speak several words and phrases in swahili and simple phrases such as 'hello', goodbye', 'how are you' in about 6 other languages, he knew the capitols of all the states and many countries...and lots of other stuff. The teacher didn't know what to do with him...he wasn't learning anything, so his mom took him out. He learns so much being homeschooled, but (at least in the beginnig) he was NOT getting the socialization he needed. That may have changed since then, and his mom might be getting him out more, but back then, when we'd all get together at Christmas and all the kids would be playing, he'd be too shy, and I remember him sitting by himself reading a book on astrology instead of interacting with the other kids. He's around 9 or so now. Don't know that this story helps you at all, but it's another account of a homeschooled child.

My sister is a smart little one. They have a thing in Ontario called French Immersion where children learn the curriculum in both French and English basically. Usually it's reserved for kids who move from Quebec, or children who have French parents (again not ALWAYS the case). In this case my parents just thought it would be a good idea for her to learn French. Low and behold with no background in French at all she has excelled in school and can now speak both languages at the age of 12.

Public School was definatly her best choice.

If done right, home schooling can be very successful in educating a child to their upmost abilities.

The reason why a lot of home schooled children are ahead of some public/private schooled children may have to do with the fact that they receive a one-on-one education, so to speak. A problem a lot of schools, particularly public schools, have these days is too many students assigned to each teacher. These students dont receive as much educational nurturing and/or time.

Having said that, I concur with tmp on the opinion that there are a lot of quality public schools out there that are just as good as private schools. When/if I have kids, there will be a lot of researching of the best public schools out there and they will go to the pick of the crop.

I cant justify spending so much money on a private school when the young'un can get just as good an education at a public school.

I went to a fantastic public high school that repeatedly gets the highest VCE scores in Victoria.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back