Homecoming Photo

Anita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I'm almost scared to post here, because you guys are all so good; BUT here it goes! Ugh!

This homecoming photo was very fun and I have a ton more with different poses, but I'm just going to post this one, for now. Please go easy on me since I have never posted in the PRO gallery before. But, I do want C & C's. Thanks,

lexie_hc_resize.jpg

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, here is my assistant standing in while I got my settings and lighting down before the actual client (above) came. I was really shooting for getting the eyes in focus. What do you think? I didn't crop this because it was just a test.

ahlia_model_resize.jpg

ahlia_model_eyes.jpg

It looks like you've got your focal points spot on. I do think you need some more work on the lighting though - it still seems a little harsh to me. I don't know what your set-up here is, but I'd suggestion moving your main light closer to the subject - effectively making it larger relative to the sitter. Alternatively, use some reflectors to throw light back into the deeper shadows, primarily in the case of #1, under her chin. I also think you need to balance up the lighting levels on the background - for me, they are too dark at the moment.

Your camera position is a tad low. You seem to have it at about the chin or neck level rather than the eye level. The first image shows this better than the 2nd one, partly because she also has her head tilted back a little bit.

Your lighting is flat and two low. See where your catchlight is? It's in the center of their eyes. Also, you have no nose shadow. Shadows help give the impression of 3D on a 2D image. A good rule of thumb for portraits like this is to have your catchlight in the 1 o'clock or 11' o'clock position. And for nose shadow you want one that is from half way between the nose and upper lip to just touching the upper lip. To achive this, you need to move your main light up and to the right of the camera so it's about a 45 degree angle from the person's face (assuming a catchlight in the 1 o'clock position, you would move it to the left of camera for a 11 o'clock position).

Depending on your light source, you might consider getting a bigger main light or moving it closer. This will help soften the light and reduce the highlights a bit. You are not that far off though, so keep practicing.

Mike

move her away from the backdrop so you will get a nicer blur.

(more shallow DOF)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back