homecoming - urgent translation request to all our foreign members

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
the homecoming dance is coming up and im going to ask my girlfreind, and im going to write out "will you go to homecoming with me?" in as many diffrent languages as i can.

i was hoping that some of you could help me out.

oh and you can change out homecoming for dance if that would be better.

Canadian:
Will you go to the dance with me, eh?

still do not understand the concept of "homecoming" ;)

Therefore I would not know the translation of "homecoming" into German. ... the literal translation makes no sense in German ....

well my friend told me how to say it in german.

still do not understand the concept of "homecoming" ;)

Therefore I would not know the translation of "homecoming" into German. ... the literal translation makes no sense in German ....

Homecoming is an event in which prior alumni to the school are invited back for a football game, dance, etc. Usually they don't come, though, and it's just another football game and dance for the highschool students. :confused:

well my friend told me how to say it in german.

so how would you say it in German then?

Thanks for the explanation wildmaven :) Finally I do understand who is actually supposed to be coming home!

oh sorry i didnt give you an explanation. i dont know what i was thinking :confused: and what i wrote sounded a little mean, sorry it wasnt intended to be.

he said "wird sie gehen zu homecoming mit mir?"

oh sorry i didnt give you an explanation. i dont know what i was thinking :confused: and what i wrote sounded a little mean, sorry it wasnt intended to be.

he said "wird sie gehen zu homecoming mit mir?"

That's not right. That means something like 'will she go to the homecoming with me'. German is not my first language, but - since there's no real translation for homecoming - it would be more something like

'Möchtest du mit mir zum Homecoming gehen?' (would you like to go) or 'Gehst du mit mir zum Homecoming?' (will you go)

edit: I think it also possible to say 'Würdest du mit mir zum Homecoming gehen?' (which is very polite). But LaFoto is the expert on TPF!

pascal

"Expert", Pascal!?!?! Oh no!
You gave three really perfect translations into German!
Much, much, much better than any online translator could ever do, they usually produce only quite funny versions of the sentences they are supposed to translate, so I would never suggest anyone use them to later use that translation for anything. In order to get the gist of what is being said in a foreign language text they are ok, but other than that...!?!?

So keeping in mind what 1986 means to say, I would suggest the "Gehst du mit mir zum Homecoming/ Tanz /Schulball?" as the German version.

But hey, Pascal, where in all this is the DUTCH version then?
Isn't 1986 calling us out to offer him translations?

¿Te vas a 'homecoming'/ al baile conmigo? could be the Spanish, but my Spanish has become VERY rusty in the course of time.

But hey, Pascal, where in all this is the DUTCH version then?
Isn't 1986 calling us out to offer him translations?

Ah yes, I was focussing on the German part too much.
So in Dutch it would be:

'Wil je met me mee naar het schoolfeest?' or 'Ga je met mij mee naar het schoolfeest?'

(I changed homecoming into 'school party', because it's the same in the Netherlands: we don't have 'homecomings'. At least not the last time I checked)

pascal

Well, we don't have such things, either, and it took me forever to understand what this is all about (or that song on the "homecoming queen", for that matter), and it required an as patient explanation to me through someone right here on TPF for me to finally understand as it did for Alex just now.

And 1986 ... of my three offers, you choose ONE, not all three, of course. Like: you COULD leave the expression untranslated, since it does not translate into any other language given the fact that the party-as-such does not exist, or you choose one of the other two words like "Tanz" for "dance" (though we would not really say that, either, it is pretty unspecific) or "Schulfest", which is a school party.

"baile" in Spanish is the same as "dance" ... unspecific, but I don't know any word for a school party in the way of a "homecoming" in Spanish.

If we leave 'homecoming' untranslated as it is probably the only option, then Puscas put it the perfect wording :)

His first version would be my favourite.

'Möchtest du mit mir zum Homecoming gehen?' (would you like to go) or 'Gehst du mit mir zum Homecoming?' (will you go)

edit: I think it also possible to say 'Würdest du mit mir zum Homecoming gehen?' (which is very polite).

1986 - I added something to the title of this thread, else I fear too few of our foreign members will notice that this is a request for a translation of something. OK?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back