homemade flip flash L bracket.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mysteryscribe, May 27, 2007.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Quick story goes with this. I decided that in low light my eyes were not dependable enough to focus a camera. So I need an auto focus camera for shots inside a slightly dark room. For all others I can easily use my manual focus which I prefer since it has a fail safe strob system. Nonetheless I needed a second L bracket. Since I build my own because I am a tinkerer, a tightwad and want particular things in it, I just finished it. I thought I'd give you rundown in case you want to do the same.
    Things you need from the home improvement store.
    1. a ninty degree 6 inch steel shelf bracket one is fine
    2. 2 two inch steel 90 degree shelf brackets. They probably will come in packs of four.
    3. a flash shoe. I got one that attaches to a tripod so has the screw in the bottom. I had it laying about so I don't know what it costs.
    4. three quater inch bolts to put it together. Also two nuts..Take your camers since you want the thread to fit in it. One of the bolts will hold it to your camera anyway. Unless you have a couple of tripod bolts if so you are a lucky devil.
    5. a couple of rubber washers from the plumbing department.
    6. JB eposy or equivalent.
    Step one... take your trusty hammer and bend one end of the large shelf brace about and inch and a half at the opposite angle to the bottom. see attached photo.
    step two... the short leg you just bent will have one screw hole in it. You need to enlarge it to accept one of you 1/4 inch bolts.
    step three.. Take one of the two inch shelf braces and enlarge two holes one on leg of the angles. Just dry fit to make sure you get a hole you like.
    Step four use a 1/4 bolt, a lock washer, then put it through one of the pieces then a rubber washer between the two shelf braces. At this point you can assemble it with a little eposy on the threads so the bolt wont work loose from the weight of the flash. I had mine welded by a neighbor.
    step five. Enlarge a couple of holes in the second small shelf bracket.
    step six. bolt the flash shoe on one end of the bracket making sure it is possitioned correctly then put a little epoxie onthe threads again if you want.
    step seven. bolt the the two small shelf braces together thus attaching them to the larger shelf brace. This is the tricky part. I epoxie the nut that holds the two smaller braces to one of the braces. You have to be careful not to get epoxie on the threads cause you want it be able to loosen the bolt. by epoxing it you dont need to worry about losing it or needing a pair of plier to flip the flash. I also use a rubber washer, and a lock washer to make the grip tight, which keeps it from moving about.
    At this point you have a working L bracket that not only has the light to the side and above a 35mm or digital slr but also has the advantage of being able to flip the light at a different angle allowing the light to bounced even if the camera is in verticle possition. See photo. Ps paint it black lol. put a bit of rubber or cloth between it and the camera to avoid scratches.
    I am going to attach a battery pack to the upright metal post to make my handle. You can use a bit of wood you have laying about. Srew it right to the post.

see attached images.

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]