Homemade Lightbox Shots - C&C

TheBoombaGnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!!

So earlier today, I made a DIY Lightbox to shoot some pictures with. I just used a box from my work, tissue paper for the sides, and a poster board for the background. I made it out for under $10 and while its not professional, I think it turned out pretty nice. I had to use two different lights with two different bulbs, as I didn't have the right lamps (so I had to borrow), but tomorrow is payday, so I plan on buying two matching lamps with matching bulbs, so that I can get the best possible shots...Keep in mind, My camera is pretty nasty, and I'm still working on getting my dSLR, so this was with a crappy P&S camera, just a few shots from my first try!! Let me knwo what you think!!!

4643451629_20308ccefc.jpg

X-Box 360 Controller - Single light, Right side

4643451823_3900f1c957.jpg

My old Nikon Nikkormat Camera - Two Lights, Right and Left

4644066086_49ee46e217.jpg

Zoom lens for the Nikkormat - Two lights, Right/Left

Do you guys have any suggestions on what particular bulbs I should buy to get the best result? I noticed that the lamp on the right side had a much whiter shine then the other one...but I'm not sure why that is...

Thanks guys!

TBG

Hey everyone!!

So earlier today, I made a DIY Lightbox to shoot some pictures with. I just used a box from my work, tissue paper for the sides, and a poster board for the background. I made it out for under $10 and while its not professional, I think it turned out pretty nice. I had to use two different lights with two different bulbs, as I didn't have the right lamps (so I had to borrow), but tomorrow is payday, so I plan on buying two matching lamps with matching bulbs, so that I can get the best possible shots...Keep in mind, My camera is pretty nasty, and I'm still working on getting my dSLR, so this was with a crappy P&S camera, just a few shots from my first try!! Let me knwo what you think!!!

Do you guys have any suggestions on what particular bulbs I should buy to get the best result? I noticed that the lamp on the right side had a much whiter shine then the other one...but I'm not sure why that is...

Thanks guys!

TBG

Hey, I'm right there with you on using a DIY lightbox. If it works, who cares what it cost/looks like.

As far as the lighting, the lamp camera right seems too close to the tissue paper. You have either two different color temp bulbs (warmer on the left), OR...the bulb on the right is too close/bright and it's bouncing some of the cardboard color from the left inside of the box, back onto your subject. Cover the inside of the box with white printer paper, paint it, or whatever to fix it if that's the issue. Either way, you're blowing out highlights on the right side, as seen on the top of the viewfinder in the old Nikorrmat, the lost edge of the Xbox controller on the right, and the back end of the lens has almost lost it's line too. Move it out just a tad, you'll keep the specular highlights but won't be blowing them out.

As far as bulbs, just mix'n'match household bulbs until you get color temps that match. Bulbs are dirt cheap, as are clamp lights ($8 at Home Depot), so for less than $20 you can find a perfect set....and they don't have to be dedicated for this purpose only. I use my bulbs in the guest bathroom when I'm not using them in my clamp lights for shots. lol

Also, learnmyshot.com has some great video tutorials on cost effective lighting for small subjects. He uses clamp lights and regular household bulbs. The same principals he shows can be used in the lightbox.

Last edited:
Make srue you have the same bulbs in both lights.

quick explanation on light color for flourescents.
when you buy a compact flourescent bulb it will have the wattage like 9watt, 23watt etc. but it also has a Kelvin rating. The Kelvin rating represents the color of the light.
lower kelvin means more yellow, higher kelvin means more blue. somewhere in the middle is the perfect white color. I personally would try a 4100K bulb.

sorry Im sure its more than you wanted to know, heres a great explanation of kelvin
http://www.planetbulb.com/media/pdf/KelvinExplained.pdf

They're overexposed. Notice how the objects fade into the background as you move from left to right. The goal is to create separation between subject and background.

Make srue you have the same bulbs in both lights.

quick explanation on light color for flourescents.
when you buy a compact flourescent bulb it will have the wattage like 9watt, 23watt etc. but it also has a Kelvin rating. The Kelvin rating represents the color of the light.
lower kelvin means more yellow, higher kelvin means more blue. somewhere in the middle is the perfect white color. I personally would try a 4100K bulb.

sorry Im sure its more than you wanted to know, heres a great explanation of kelvin
http://www.planetbulb.com/media/pdf/KelvinExplained.pdf

That is actually Exactly what I was looking for...I didn't know if there was a way to see what color bulbs shine prior to plugging them in, so thats perfect! Thanks!

Hey, I'm right there with you on using a DIY lightbox. If it works, who cares what it cost/looks like.

As far as the lighting, the lamp camera right seems too close to the tissue paper. You have either two different color temp bulbs (warmer on the left), OR...the bulb on the right is too close/bright and it's bouncing some of the cardboard color from the left inside of the box, back onto your subject. Cover the inside of the box with white printer paper, paint it, or whatever to fix it if that's the issue. Either way, you're blowing out highlights on the right side, as seen on the top of the viewfinder in the old Nikorrmat, the lost edge of the Xbox controller on the right, and the back end of the lens has almost lost it's line too. Move it out just a tad, you'll keep the specular highlights but won't be blowing them out.

As far as bulbs, just mix'n'match household bulbs until you get color temps that match. Bulbs are dirt cheap, as are clamp lights ($8 at Home Depot), so for less than $20 you can find a perfect set....and they don't have to be dedicated for this purpose only. I use my bulbs in the guest bathroom when I'm not using them in my clamp lights for shots. lol

Also, learnmyshot.com has some great video tutorials on cost effective lighting for small subjects. He uses clamp lights and regular household bulbs. The same principals he shows can be used in the lightbox.

I do know that I had two different bulbs, so odds are thats what you saw...but like I said, it was just a test w/ whatever I could get my hands on...today is payday, so I'm going tonight to pick up two identical clamp lights w/ a couple sets of identical bulbs.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back