HOMETOWN or Main Street In My Hometown

Didn't see a thread like this anywhere so here goes . . .

What does mainstreet look like in your town? Or maybe the street you live on? Or just within 5 minutes of your house???

Please remember to tell us where you are!!!

I'll go first . . .

This is mainstreet downtown Cedarburg, WI. USA facing SE. This is approximately 2-3miles from where I live. Not a great picture but you get the idea. I'll have to find some more later.

ced0101.jpg

Here's Columbiana, AL (about 30 min from the geological center of "Dixie"). A small town fighting hard not to tear itself apart at the seams. One faction wants high class yuppie junk and is willing to use eminent domain to get it. :angry1: Another faction wants nothing to change. :irked: And the rest of us want some sanity!!! :soapbox:

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

WOW Liz I had no idea! The street looks so small! I know what you mean about the local politics though (think Alabama's "When It All Goes South"). OK maybe a bad analogy but I am a fan of old fashioned southern hospitality, pride, and tradition. Good to see at least a couple people are finding this thread! Keep'em coming folks!!

I'll get some more soon too :wink:

It looked even smaller before the recent "remodeling" of downtown (more yuppie stuff - althougth it did need something done to it). The main reason the town is there is the County Courthouse (the first pic).

Not a bad analogy. The South is a land of contradictions. I still freak out if company drops by unexpectedly and I can't offer them food! I actually keep quick-cook stuff around (like frozen ham steak that I can quickly cover in brown sugar and pineapple juice and heat in the oven) just in case. Then on to the contradiction part. One of my favorite sayings is that a Southerner will be polite to you up until the point they are ready to shot you (and I don't mean with a camera). :)

I like your shot of your town - What church is that at the end of the street?

It's actually a retired Catholic church that is now only used for weddings and funerals. Wierd huh?

Um, just so you know, I'll be over on Tuesday for some ham :lol:

HA! I got goose bumps seeing this one! I drive down that very road, in that exact same dimension at least 2 times a week! My best friend got married in that church last year!

Nice shot wxnut!

Hey CanonFan - just tell me what time - we'll have the whole family/friend circle/church group over and BBQ too! Everybody bring a grill! :grin:

Seriously, just have the grocery store cut one of those ham shanks they run on the $1/lb special into 2 1/2 inch thick slices (except the hock of course - chunk that up for 15 bean soup). Put a slice in a shallow backing pan, pack brown sugar over the whole thing and drizzle some canned pineapple juice on it. Put it in a 350 degree oven until the brown sugar melts and carmalizes. Just keep drizzling pineapple juice over it about every 10 minutes. Yum, Yum!

LizM said:
Seriously, just have the grocery store cut one of those ham shanks they run on the $1/lb special into 2 1/2 inch thick slices (except the hock of course - chunk that up for 15 bean soup). Put a slice in a shallow backing pan, pack brown sugar over the whole thing and drizzle some canned pineapple juice on it. Put it in a 350 degree oven until the brown sugar melts and carmalizes. Just keep drizzling pineapple juice over it about every 10 minutes. Yum, Yum!
:drool:

City boy! :)

Looks fascinating but I'm not sure I could handle the big city. I don't even like small towns! Gimmie the middle of nowhere anyday.

Most reactions

Back