Homless Shelter wants Photographer with no Ethics?

meh.. If I were in your position, I wouldn't spend any more time dwelling on either this thread or on the volunteer position. Your letter to the shelter could probably have been written better, but from what I can tell from your first post it wasn't that bad. Whoever read it, if anyone read it, probably got the impression you might have some issues with the job and decided against giving you the job. But we'll never know really what happened. That's it. In the absence of more evidence, further speculation is a futile exercise.

Unfortunately, however, by starting this thread you've allowed everyone the opportunity to sound off on a very sensitive subject that happens to be centered on you, and thus it has become personal. Nothing is ever resolved on the internet; ideas are twisted and agendas pursued and misunderstandings abound. As the saying goes, the more you say, the more fuel you throw on the fire, and in this case, because it's become personal, it's a fire under your own feet.

For whatever it's worth, I think your motives were virtuous, but your strategy was flawed.

… In my letter I told them that I was willing to do it, but only if I represented the subjects as individuals, rather than using their image to represent their social status. …

this is the last time i'm going to post in this particular thread … but how can you possibly be taken seriously when you name your pix "homeless guy," "homeless man," etc? individuals indeed. totally, totally disingenuous. scream at me again if you like, but it won't do anything to make you appear in any way sincere.

revision (sparked by post #64): if those pix aren't indeed yours, i apologize. my opinion doesn't change, however, about your inability to answer the question posed by carny and myself. still, like i said, good luck in your future endeavors.

Last edited:
durhamskywriter said:
this is the last time i'm going to post in this particular thread … but how can you possibly be taken seriously when you name your pix "homeless guy," "homeless man," etc? individuals indeed. totally, totally disingenuous. scream at me again if you like, but it won't do anything to make you appear in any way sincere.

I may be wrong but I don't think those "homeless guy" images were the OP's. If they were he probably would've posted them here vs posting a link.

Edit: I am actually 100% sure they are not his now that I went back and read his post

revision (sparked by post #64): if those pix aren't indeed yours, i apologize. my opinion doesn't change, however, about your inability to answer the question posed by carny and myself. still, like i said, good luck in your future endeavors.

For me to answer that question would require that I have a stereotypical image in my head of what homeless people represent. How can I possibly explain what a portrait is before meeting the subject?

Most reactions

Back