Honest C+C please

Nasir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

This is probably about the 5th time I took out my xti with the 50mm 1.8 and I've finally gotten the hang of shooting in Raw and post processing in Lightroom.

Could I get some honest critiques please?

Thanks!

337340799_Qv9mk-M.jpg

337338712_MibdV-L.jpg

ooo
i really like 2, great work

as for 1... i'm not that crazy about it
the colors seem a bit flat in comparison to the 2nd one hahah
all the same, nice composition and whatnot =P

*edit* oh, and welcome to the forum =P

C&C per req:

1. Technically it's fine, good exposure,colours, etc. The composition however doesn't do much for me. Flower shots are generally best when you only have a couple of blooms as the main subject and a nice, soft background (Still life style excepted). The main problem here is an excesive DoF rendering the entire image very busy and distracting.

2. I like the idea of this one, and good use of selective focus to obtain an appropriate DoF. The image needs to be straightened however, and the colours look rather over-processed to me.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

for number 2 i wish the flower pots on the left was closer to the bigger one on the right, confusing focal point? =\

Again, tirediron has been here first.
So everything's said really (we seem to be on the same wavelength, he and I, he often writes exactly what I had said/written myself, too).

The horizon in 2 needs to be straightened.
The colours are fairly bold for this being a photo of a cemetery, but I say: when there's plastic containers as decoration there, then also bold colours do work...

Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments. I had the same feeling about the first one. But the lighting on that day was very inconsistent and changed annoyingly fast and unfortunately my better composed pictures of these flowers did not come out with the same vibrant colors.

I really appreciate the suggestions on #2. I did not rotate it because I had thought that it would take a lot of PS magic to do so. But a little skim through the lightroom manual enlightened me on the "rotating crop" tool.

I have made a couple of edits below. Now that I look at it again, I do agree that the colors might be a bit much for a cemetary. I actually tried to either get the pot on the left closer to the main subject, or simply not including it. But unfortunately, like the lighting, the wind is very inconsistent and most of my other pics came out with very limp flags.

Well, please let me know what you think. Are the colors too dark now?

Thanks!

337979736_9DLrB-L.jpg

Well, please let me know what you think. Are the colors too dark now?

Hello Nasir. I just purchased the same setup, just waiting for it to come in the mail. I really liked the colors from the 1st post of the cemetary picture. Some may think it is too colorful and bright for a cemetary. I personally feel that the 1st gives me a sense of pride to be an American. Another idea is if you want a little bit of gloom to the pic, maybe you can darken the sides and edges of the photo a little. I think they call this effect vignetting or something like that. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on photography terms. I'm still a newb, hehe.

-maulrat

Most reactions

New Topics

Back