Honest Opinion on this one please....1 PHOTO

oldnavy170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have been taking photos like crazy lately. Over 500 in just the last week. Not all of them worth showing but this one I think is. What do you think of it? :wink:

Emily1.jpg

I like it, and you have nice, soft light. The only thing I wish it did was "pop" more. Maybe some curve and hue/saturation adjustments?

I like it, and you have nice, soft light. The only thing I wish it did was "pop" more. Maybe some curve and hue/saturation adjustments?

It's very very nice. My wife saw it and said 'that's a nice picture'. So there, you've got two fans at once...:wink: But I agree with Cyrus that it can do with a little pop, so I gave it a quick try. Just upped the contrast and saturation. Nothing special:

Emily1.jpg

pascal

Its a little better, but you might want to be careful not to redden the face too much. In this case, I think a little selective saturation may be all you need. Try opening up the file again and do a hue/saturation for a few selective color channels. I would start with blue and cyan and that will boost the eye color very nicely. Then experiment with each of the other channels, which will boost color for other things in the picture containing that color. That should give you more control rather than boosting all colors in everything at once.

Its a little better, but you might want to be careful not to redden the face too much. In this case, I think a little selective saturation may be all you need. Try opening up the file again and do a hue/saturation for a few selective color channels. I would start with blue and cyan and that will boost the eye color very nicely. Then experiment with each of the other channels, which will boost color for other things in the picture containing that color. That should give you more control rather than boosting all colors in everything at once.

you're absolutely right! It's almost never good to do all the colours at once. I was lazy.
Well OldNavy, let's see what you can do.

pascal

Ok, I gave it a shot. I am not very good in PS so this is what I was able to produce:

Emily3.jpg

Honest feedback, very nice but worth pointing out to watch your background. Even a shallow DOF cannot disguise the fact that it is a car and garage. Excellent shot for family/self/friends. Not as good if professional. Please do not think I am criticising just for fun, I always believe that if no one points out these little things then how do we all learn. If you are forced to shoot somewhere that has cars all around then see if you can get high up and shoot towards the grass or low down which can be flattering ('Hero' perspective).
Best regards,
Chris

I agree with Chris and also I'm not keen on the way the hair covers one of the eyes. It's a nice shot of a pretty girl.

Cheers
Jim

her face is pale, focus is too soft for my taste

I do not like any of the edits, the first one is in candy colours, and the second means hardly any improvement.

ok, since we had this whole discussion, I do not mean to be offensive here ;) :) just this is my impression!

I like her pose and expression in her face.. so i still consider this a well captured moment. just contrast and colours and focus are a bit off.

oh, and I am happy with her hair, makes it look natural. not all portraits have to be hyper arranged as this can look.. well arranged and unnatural in a way ;)

I am happy to hear all thoughts on this photo. I wouldn't get any better if I didn't take everyones thoughts into play.

I would love to make a home studio to see if I can get any better shots. I really do love shooting outdoors because the natural light is just the best.

I do not like any of the edits, the first one is in candy colours

Hey! What's wrong with candy colours? Why are you being so rude?!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: (sorry, couldn't help it)

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back