Hooray! School "Photographer"

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Buszaj, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,
    I recently became the photographer for my high school newspaper. I'll be shooting all of the major events such as sports and concerts, which are not a problem for me. But also, I'll be shooting on "non-uniform days," when we don't where uniform, so I'm going to be taking pictures of students in the hallways. My question is, should I use flash or not, and what settings are recommended, (I'm shooting in full manual mode). For now all I have to work with is my P&S, but soon that glorious day will come when I aquire a DSLR...hopefully.

2. Funky

Funky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    uhhh well, i was a year book and newspaper photographer in school, and the big this is highschool newspapers arnt printed in colour that often...so all you need to worry about is that you have the proper exposure, i would use a flash, but then again i had a DSLR with an external flash.

3. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ours are printed in colour, (they started last year)
    Thanks for the tip

4. Keith Gebhardt

Keith Gebhardt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    with a point and shoot camera.. id go with flash. flash is always good to use, even on the brightest day. it fills in unwanted shawdows and brings underexposed hightlights out more.

5. chris_arnet

chris_arnet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have a Rebel 300D and kit lense you could purchase for $200.

anyway, i would probably use flash. i wouldnt want to turn the ISO up if possible at all because noise is extremely bad in most point and shoots. i would use a stutter speed of about 125. maybe even 60, but probably not,, to let in as much light as possible. put your aperture wide open or stopped down just a little.