Hoping for help.

hokies2379

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got to shoot 15 people, one at a time, in a small space tomorrow night. Trying to make sure my lighting is just right. I know about the empty space above the hair and the cropping, I'm more worried about the lighting, that's where i have continuous struggles.

Had softbox strobe at 45 degrees. Continuous light behind subject (me) facing background and speed light bouncing off ceiling.

At first glance I think it looks fine but curious for the expert opinion. Thank you so much.
IMG_3415.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I'm a lighting noob, but it looks like your key light is too hot and your light on the background isn't hot enough. It looks like the highlights on your hand are completely blown (I'm at work so it isn't easy to verify on the histogram), and I can see a decent amount of texture and shadows on the background.

If you don't have a speedlight to light the background, you might have better luck with a black background instead of white, depending on what the photos are going to be used for. I'd also probably raise your softbox a few inches, and use a reflector in front/below the person to reduce the contrast a bit.

I'm a lighting noob, but it looks like your key light is too hot and your light on the background isn't hot enough. It looks like the highlights on your hand are completely blown (I'm at work so it isn't easy to verify on the histogram), and I can see a decent amount of texture and shadows on the background.

If you don't have a speedlight to light the background, you might have better luck with a black background instead of white, depending on what the photos are going to be used for. I'd also probably raise your softbox a few inches, and use a reflector in front/below the person to reduce the contrast a bit.

Thank you for that. I have two speedlites and was trying to decide between constant light in the background or using the speedlite, I think that decision has been made.

I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Different type of pose for sure, but I took this with a speedlight in an octabox, a 4-in-1 reflector, and a speed light on the background. I have some shadows in here, too, as the light falls off on the background, but it'd be super easy for me to go back and fix that in photo shop.

mrs-session1-jpg.135219

Most reactions

Back