frasierfanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D60 with
(1) AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED VR
(2) AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 G VR

I have tremors in my hands and head that are only slightly noticeable when medicated, and while most of my work is done on a tripod, Vibration Reduction or the equivalent is a huge plus for my constant shaking :p.

I am getting my 1000 dollar tuition rebate in the mail this week, and it is going toward my camera, so I was hoping for some suggestions on a good lens for portraits.

The 55-200 mm is fine for outdoor field sports (although you may find yourself lusting for a 400 mm f/2.8 at some point) At 55 mm, it is the right focal length for shooting portraits.

105mm I would think is pretty long for a DX sensor, it'ts perfect for FX though.

The 70-200 has VR in it, the 85's listed won't AF on your camera, and manually focusing an f/1.4 lens on a D60, at least for me, would be impossible to do so accurately.

I'd wait till christmas and buy the new Nikon AF-S 50mm. It will AF on your camera and give you great results.

The new AF-S 50 1.4; doesn't have VR, but if your shooting portraits, you'll be on a tripod most of the time, and 75mm [effective] is a pretty decent FL for a portrait lens.

the nifty fifty of course =)

AF 50mm f/1.8
can't go wrong with a $100

Thanks for the input! I have been looking at the beautifully priced $109 50mm f/1.8 but it wont AF on my camera, which I can live with, there is a more expensive which I might spring for instead. Ah...the choices!

I think I've decided to wait on the December 2008 release of the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4

manually focusing on today's digital cameras is incredibly difficult to do so accurately.

I think I've decided to wait on the December 2008 release of the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4

Also consider the Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM when you're considering the Nikon AF-S 50mm F1.4. Many people in Japan seem to be quite happy with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back