Horseeies

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by craig, Aug 13, 2005.

1. craig

craig TPF Noob!

First attempt photographing these beautiful animals, but not the last. I jumped the fence and they started freaking me out. Needless to say I stayed on my side of the fence the rest of the morning. When I got back I consulted my horse owner friends. Tomorrow's adventure should go a little smoother. Any comments will be appreciated (as always) because I see my self shooting a lot of horse photos. I am generally pleased with these. Except of course for the bald sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. forgottenskies

forgottenskies TPF Noob!

I like the first one and would love to see the last one a little clearer, beautiful shots and beautiful subjects as well. Great job!

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Thanks! I have the last photo sharp, but I really like the blur (gaussian) that I have added.

4. aprilraven

aprilraven TPF Noob!

i think your second shot is just really good... i like it alot...the first shows personality to me...

horses are beautiful..they really are, but they are a lot bigger in person if there is no fence between ya....!!

5. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    beautiful animals, and very tough to get a good angle on them.. love the 2nd shot a lot!

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Thanks gang!!! The horses were about 20 feet away when I jumped the fence. As soon as I did all 8 came right up to me. They were so close I could not even get a shot. One started chewing on my camera bag. After a while they started playing with each other. In this case they were biting each others butts and kicking. That is when I made the move to the other side of the fence.

Turns out if you "shoo" them away they will leave you alone. It is a good idea to let them smell your hand. Do not pet them on the nose, because it bothers there nasal cavities. Petting on the neck is better.

I slept through this mornings adventure, but can not wait for next weekend. I also have a shot posted in the crit gallery that you may want to check out.

7. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful pics, Craig. Each one has its own 'personality' and shows this beautiful animal in a different way. I like all three.

8. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shots Craig. I like both as they are. Well done.

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Once they get to know you they may be less curious. ;) As you can see they demand to make friends with visitors. :heart: You have very little say in the matter.

A tip: stay on your side of the fence for a while and shoot away. Then slowly ease up and settle yourself on the top rail. You will gain some much-needed height, and better perspective.

I like your shots, but you are in danger of becoming too "nosey" with your perspective. :razz: Common problem. The long nose becomes the entire image so you don't get to see those large, intelligent eyes in perspective to their heads. Just another reason to climb on the top rail, if they'll let you get away with it. :lol: Even a step ladder on the other side of the fence would help.

And the second before you're ready to shoot, make a clicking noise to make sure those ears swing forward towards you. Horses, like most animals, are constantly listening to the world around them, and they have a habit of ruining perfect shots by a last second swinging of an ear behind them if a sound draws attention.

I hope you keep shooting, you have such beautiful models. :) Good luck!

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

A million thanks gang!!!!! Thanks for the tips terri. They will come in handy during tomorrows adventure. If I wake up early enough...