Horsey photo: CC welcome!

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so the sky is blown out, but I always have this problem with my camera, even at -1 EV. So, I don't know what to do!

Anyway, what do you think aside from that? I'd like for the bar to be gone, but since I didn't have permission to trespass, I stayed where I was. Besides, horses are kinda scary without a fence between you and them.

3714924298_13cfff5241_o.jpg

Yah I agree about the bar, but I can fully understand staying on the right side of the fence. As for your exposure problems there are a few things you can do to limit or remove the problem

1) Check the angle of the lighting - in the shot above your light is coming from behind the horses head and your shooting right into the shadow of the face - so your getting a really dark area that the camera is thus exposing for as well as a really bright sky - its a losing battle and without a way of adding light to the horses face your going to get one area exposed badly.
If you could have moved round the field and shot from the other side the light would have been more on the horses head

2) Add light - reflectors and flash can be used to fill in lighting, letting you expose for the sky and add the missing light on the subject in - with something like a horse its hot or miss if it works - some are going to buck and run others will just ignor the flash.

3) Change the time of day - evenings and early mornings have a softer sunlight which is easier to work with - its a golden time for photography, though remember that you might have to bump ISO for the shutter speed.

Yah I agree about the bar, but I can fully understand staying on the right side of the fence. As for your exposure problems there are a few things you can do to limit or remove the problem

1) Check the angle of the lighting - in the shot above your light is coming from behind the horses head and your shooting right into the shadow of the face - so your getting a really dark area that the camera is thus exposing for as well as a really bright sky - its a losing battle and without a way of adding light to the horses face your going to get one area exposed badly.
If you could have moved round the field and shot from the other side the light would have been more on the horses head

2) Add light - reflectors and flash can be used to fill in lighting, letting you expose for the sky and add the missing light on the subject in - with something like a horse its hot or miss if it works - some are going to buck and run others will just ignor the flash.

3) Change the time of day - evenings and early mornings have a softer sunlight which is easier to work with - its a golden time for photography, though remember that you might have to bump ISO for the shutter speed.

Thank you so much. I don't have a reflector, yet. But I'll work on it. As far as the time of day, its really frustrating cause it was 7 at night! My camera almost always blows out my skies, though, but maybe even later...

Thanks for the comments, though. I appreciate them. I guess sometimes there's just really not much that can be done. It not only takes the right place, but the right time and equipment, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back