Hosses :)

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

got my first slr 2 months ago (nikon D70), and am lovin the control it gives me! (even if I don't know what the heck I'm doing most of the time...)

Took this pic on the drive home from me mam's house the other week, and I quite like it... I'd love to hear your comments :)

Leeko

25579Horse1.jpg

I love the idea here. The composition and DOF are great, as is the focus on the horses face. However, I'd like to see a little bit more of his face. I don't like the fact that his nose has been cropped off. That's just my opinion though.

And how come the weather up in Scotland looks so much better than it does down here? Heehee.

Funny to be finding out that somewhere else in this world someone went around taking such a very similar photo as I did (on film, printed on paper, then scanned, hence the poor picture quality on here) - only could I not provide this horse with any companion, since it was all alone in its pasture :(:

PferdinMorgensonne3.jpg

(And I could forever nag myself for "cutting its ear off"... hang on: did I or did the lab people do it? THE LAB PEOPLE DID IT! Grrr. Will scan the neg now, see whether there's a difference).

Finally I got round to scan the negative and upload it, so you can see that I framed the horse face detail all right... but I am still unhappy with the outcome of my negative scans. No matter how much I wipe and clean my (comparatively new scanner), there're always specks of dust to be seen:

Pferd_negscan.jpg

Sorry, if you feel that I am hijacking your thread.
I want to tell you that I find your composition very appealing, with the other horse in the background. Good DOF here! I very much like the idea.

Not at all.... it's always nice to see someone else's approach to the same subject. I think that comparison's are always helpful, and your photo is an excellent piece of work.

If I may make one suggestion: I probably would have cropped the horses head down the centre, rather than showing some of the other half of it's face. I think that might make the composition a little tighter...

Thanks,

Leeko

Wow! How fun is that? Makes me wonder if it's not the same horse, traveling 'round the world, looking for photo ops. Both images are really nice. I like seeing the ear with the rim lighting.

LaFoto said:
No matter how much I wipe and clean my (comparatively new scanner), there're always specks of dust to be seen

That dust can be a really bugger. Of course, when enlarging a photo, all the problems are enlarged too. It's been some time since I've been in a proper camera shop. Are anti-static brushes still available? I'm sure you tried blowing the dust away with some canned air.

I love the shots!!! Very clear and just ...cute :)

i like the idea of the shot, but would like to see more of the focused horses head. it's almost difficult to tell what it is at first since it's so dark. the only thing that tipped me off was the horse in the distance grazing. no ears or nose make it a tough one to figure out.

i think it would be similar to shooting a person standing in the background but having another person focused really close and chopping off his hair & mouth and having only half of his face exposed to light.

good idea though, cultivate it more and i think you got a winner! :)

the origanal shot would have been better with a more of its nose but its still good

when i first saw that it was a horse photo i thought (oh another horse photo) but its not its different somehow

Thats a nice idea! I think perhaps bringing out the shadow on the dark side of the horses head would help the image though. There is a lot of detail hidden in the shadow ares of digital images and bringing some of it out can make all the difference.

dodge that edge and maybe you might see more of that horses face

Most reactions

New Topics

Back