Hot Bridge

THORHAMMER thats a really great picture. I really love the lights and the color. Is it just one exposure or is it an HDR?

Hey... I almost had a THORHAMMER night shot last night (didn't bring the tripod though). Just curious though... what settings are those shots mostly?

I rested my camera on a post last night and just shot wildly into the night. I didn't change the iso or anything I just shot 2 or 3 raw shots iso 200 @ 3.5 and 1.5 seconds. Got a grainy/hazy shot (but I wanted to blow my few shots on the card). I know this is no where close but I was freezing and didn't feel like experimenting.

Here's my miserable little shot (please no C&C: this one is crap and I know it's crap):

View attachment 1392

hey, that is a great shot, !!

The secret of the THORHAMMER refinery shots (which I love, by the way!) is the SMALL aperture he uses, so dpolston, that is where you need to finetune your night shooting to come close. Small aperture. Long shutter speed. And Thorhammer's quite unique post processing .... and the result will be BRILLIANT NIGHT PHOTOS!

somewhat true !!! :)

While I use a relatively small aperature, I do shoot 6.3 and 9 a lot of times too, just usually never larger then 5.6 with the wider lenses on a tripod. Now you can tell I am using my 50mm and walking about if you see a shot done at 2.2 or 1.8 something like that. but for the most part your right.
I just feel that range gives me optimal sharpness without much sacrifice.

Beyond that you just have to be in the right place at the right time, a lot of it is stalking around and making notes. Then you pounce in on the kill.

Its fun !!!!

THORHAMMER thats a really great picture. I really love the lights and the color. Is it just one exposure or is it an HDR?

just one exposure !

I dont do HDR

thanks for looking !!!!!!

Great shot THORHAMMER. I usually don't venture around in the photos section here because I'm pretty new and have a lot on my plate just reading the beginner and beyond beginner sections. Glad I ventured into this section to see this photo. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, now I've ventured onto your flickr page. Fabulous lighting in your photography. Very VERY nice! I hope your exif is showing on flickr, I'll have to see how you achieve that kind of lighting in the shots. I need to learn learn learn! :D I have some local petroleum refineries around me that I plan to visit once I pick up a tripod. Also some great small towns along the river that I can shoot from way up on the mountainside I think would be great shots at night.

Nice one. I've seen this location and it looks exactly like that in reality. Colors and all.. Long Beach has yellow street lights. It's weird..

Most reactions

Back