Hot Damn- F/.95 (Not a typo!)

Kubrick scoured the world looking for exotic, ultra-fast lenses, because he knew he would be shooting extremely low light level scenes. It was his objective, incredible as it seemed at the time, to photograph candle-lit scenes in old English castles by only the light of the candles themselves!

...And he still had to push the entire film one stop.

Always loved his movies. I was reading something about him somewhere...they were talking about how he never let the studio tell him what to do, always went way past the schedule, but somehow always got the big budget too! :lol:

(2001 was 4.5 million over budget and 16 months behind schedule...)

And most of his movies got pretty bad reviews at the time of their release too...

How fast you press the shutter has nothing to do with it.
Sorry, meant the shutter release.Although yes, the point is that the faster the aperture the faster the shutter speed... yet move a bit and that thin line of focus poofs a bit away. Unless you rock and walk around with a tripod or have a perfect sight... hmm.

I use f/1.4 as maximum, ever. Can't handle above that. ;)

I use f/1.4 as maximum, ever. Can't handle above that. ;)

I'd say a good 50% of all my shots lately are at F/1.4 on either my 50 or 85mm lenses. It takes practice but is easily doable hand-held. It's all in the technique.

Most reactions

Back