Hot Rod show

PuppY_K1ck3R

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys so I did this charity car show over the weekend and yes I broke a few rules when photographing cars outdoors.
- Early morning & Late afternoon (took the pic mid day)
- Use Polrarizing filter (no filter whatsoever)
I did use a fill flash which is an sb600 and never shot eye level. Let me know what u guys think and what i can improve.

DSC_5521proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5567proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5553proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5684proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5626proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5539proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5709proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5589proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5848proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5864proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5769proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5687proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5690proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5764proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5760proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5590proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5572proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5540proccesedcopycopy.jpg

DSC_5715proccesed.jpg

thx for the comments guys i appreciate it

Do I detect a little sarcasm?? I know how you feel.

Very nice shots. It is especially difficult to get nice pics when cars are packed together at car shows like this. Good job.

I think they turned out great for the mid-day timing.

A big thing that you did right when shooting these cars was that you excluded yourself from the photos (I.E. paint reflection)

Do I detect a little sarcasm?? I know how you feel.

Very nice shots. It is especially difficult to get nice pics when cars are packed together at car shows like this. Good job.

haha no i just wanted to bump it up and i was really bored at work. Yes the cars being too close together made things difficult. So what tips would u guys have if these cars were indoor? Off camera flash with a cable maybe??

I think they turned out great for the mid-day timing.

A big thing that you did right when shooting these cars was that you excluded yourself from the photos (I.E. paint reflection)

Like this? I just thought this was kinda cool so i blew it up.
whereswaldo.jpg

So what tips would u guys have if these cars were indoor? Off camera flash with a cable maybe??

IMO, your stepping into some pretty difficult territory, there. I have been trying to photograph my motorcycles indoors, turning my garage into a makeshift studio, and it is much harder than it looks. I have found that when a vehicle is sitting in direct sunlight, the catchlight off of the crome is quite attractive (i.e. the bumper in # 13), but that same direct lighting does not come off well in a studio setting. The lighting must be very modified (diffused) in order to get the right look, which means more power than your typical portable strobes are going to put out. I have a pair of Alien Bees AB800 studio strobes, and am getting close to the look that I want, but nothing I am happy with yet. Ideally, I could use another pair of AB's to do this correctly, but am playing around with reflectors to try to get what I want.

Dealing with cars, you'd have much more surface area to properly light than I have just trying to do motorcycles.

it is very hard to get good cars pictures at car shows.

I get especially annoyed when people cover their cars with things too, like stuffed animals!!

Considering that, they look good. :)

At car shows I tend to only take close-ups and details because it really is not worth it anymore to take wide shots.

IMO, your stepping into some pretty difficult territory, there. I have been trying to photograph my motorcycles indoors, turning my garage into a makeshift studio, and it is much harder than it looks. I have found that when a vehicle is sitting in direct sunlight, the catchlight off of the crome is quite attractive (i.e. the bumper in # 13), but that same direct lighting does not come off well in a studio setting. The lighting must be very modified (diffused) in order to get the right look, which means more power than your typical portable strobes are going to put out. I have a pair of Alien Bees AB800 studio strobes, and am getting close to the look that I want, but nothing I am happy with yet. Ideally, I could use another pair of AB's to do this correctly, but am playing around with reflectors to try to get what I want.

Dealing with cars, you'd have much more surface area to properly light than I have just trying to do motorcycles.

I see. i didint think it was easy at all. But the reason i asked is because when the concept car show comes around here I would like to have a try at it. But with everything u say which is the right way to do it, its gonna be a hard one for me. Well i guess im still gonna try. Thx for the input.

it is very hard to get good cars pictures at car shows.

I get especially annoyed when people cover their cars with things too, like stuffed animals!!

Considering that, they look good. :)

At car shows I tend to only take close-ups and details because it really is not worth it anymore to take wide shots.

Yea import car shows are hard to photo. Damn all the strobes and bling. But yes they do look good as well. I will focus more on details like u suggested we'll see how that works out.

I like all the pictures, they all look nice and yes its very difficult to actually get good pictures with the cars packed so close. I as well focus on the little details when shooting car shows like this. And as said above its nice that you didnt get yourself in the reflection. I'm shooting an exotic car show this sunday and am a little nervous due to the 60+ cars being crammed into such a tight space.

I like the pictures.. the only complaint i really have is cutting some parts of the cars off. But that may be because of limited space.

I like all the pictures, they all look nice and yes its very difficult to actually get good pictures with the cars packed so close. I as well focus on the little details when shooting car shows like this. And as said above its nice that you didnt get yourself in the reflection. I'm shooting an exotic car show this sunday and am a little nervous due to the 60+ cars being crammed into such a tight space.

Please post up pics if u can I'd love to see them. What kind of flash are you going to be using for this show? Is it indoor or out?

I like the pictures.. the only complaint i really have is cutting some parts of the cars off. But that may be because of limited space.

I tried on some pics. But yes they are packed tight so i took whatever i can at that time and there was this dood that kept walking infront of my pics. haha. but I understand what your saying because i was thinking that when i was editing them. I even wanted to take the cars out back so i can wet the asphalt and take pics where the light was better.

Most reactions

Back