Hot tips for WEDDING photography

Don't forget that your job as a photographer doesn't end the day of the ceremony. It's also your job to delivered images to your clients in a timely and efficient manner. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard of wedding photographers taking a year or more to get photos back to their couples. As with most things, it's best to under promise and over deliver.
-Sam

www.samhaddixphotography.com

My best advice after shooting about 20 weddings in the last 3 years is that communication and rapport with the couple is the most important thing. If at all possible, shoot an engagement session with them before the big day. If nothing else, at least share a meal or drinks with them to break the ice and get to know each other. It pays HUGE dividends if you've spent informal personal time with them before you're pointing a camera in their faces. The initial consultation is good, but it's no substitute for just hanging out with them.

There are 10 million threads on here about gear and other junk, so I won't waste time on that. The only other thing that I can't say enough times is...capture every bit of essence that you can find. Shooting to provide context for the day is critical.

One of the biggest things that has helped me has been asking the bride and groom to come out during the reception for a few night photos. I usually pitch the idea before the wedding so they are onboard with it, and it gives them a chance to take a break and just be with each other on their wedding day. For me it allows me a chance to create some unique photos that can sometimes really round out a set of couple's portraits and add a lot of variety.

Not so much a "hot tip" as just "wedding basics"....

Develop and stick to a checklist of shots for the day. Arrange the list in chronological order, leaving some blanks here and there for "write-in" special shots.

Review the list from time to time throughout the day, and go over any needed or "missed" shots with the couple before the reception, and again before leaving. This allows them the choice of making themselves available for the photos or opting to omit them from their album.

You will feel at ease at the end of the day knowing all the wanted photos were made.

checklist.jpg
If you need this list you have no business shooting weddings. Ill tell you what i tell everyone the responsible way to break into the business is to assist for someone else

Not so much a "hot tip" as just "wedding basics"....

Develop and stick to a checklist of shots for the day. Arrange the list in chronological order, leaving some blanks here and there for "write-in" special shots.

Review the list from time to time throughout the day, and go over any needed or "missed" shots with the couple before the reception, and again before leaving. This allows them the choice of making themselves available for the photos or opting to omit them from their album.

You will feel at ease at the end of the day knowing all the wanted photos were made.

checklist.jpg
Nice list. I personally can never sell myself as a wedding photographer. I get through them when I have to but true wedding pros have it "locked up" - a check list like this is gold. Thanks for posting as a guide.

Agree with everything here. Generally meeting the couple and catering to their needs while getting your/the classic checklist of shots is a good recipe for success. I'd also recommend a wide lens, lots of action or crowd shots, and in my exipience couples appricate shots of their younger and older guests even if they don't come out and say it.

I like to make a video showcase of the wedding photos and include several unorthodox and unexpected shots in it as well, like the gathering of family, the crowd seating and seated, a few extra candid shots they didn't realize were being made, etc. as well as the standard fare of set up shots. Add the couples favorite artist as background music and cut the shots o fit the music at several key points to keep it all synced.

What's with the repeated zombie thread comments? This is a sticky thread, meaning it's meant to stay at the top of the forum and remain relevant for continued discussion.

Also just out of curiosity, why is this thread open for discussion but the portrait one locked? I feel like I could offer plenty of decent advice on shooting portraits.

Having got married just three months ago.....my hottest tip from the 'other side of the camera' is: don't just be the photographer - be prepared to be an extra friend who is available to calm nerves and offer reassurance that the bride looks beautiful and that everything will be fine.

I communicated a lot with my photographer by email and it felt like a friend came to shoot my wedding - which made me more relaxed in front of the camera.

Rob "the 'tog" was wonderful, the photos are wonderful - exceeded my expectations (which were sky high) it all worked out wonderfully :mrgreen:

I totally agree with you Slovensky, I am just starting to turn my hobby of photography into a businesses but I also am a wedding officiant and I always like to meet with my couples at lest 1 to 2 times before the wedding and try to get to know them, I offer any kind of help I can give them the day of there wedding, I talk to the bride and the groom before the wedding starts and while standing up front with the groom waiting for his bride to come down the isle I whisper to him if he starts getting nervous calming words to keep him calm. It does help a lot. :)

I know it's been a while this thread has been posted on. I don't really photograph weddings fully. I've assisted/second shot a few, I photographed a reception for some friends (ceremony was off limits due to it being held in Mormon temple), and I have a couple of upcoming weddings for friends. I read this thread all the way through purely for something to do on this boring day. Haha!

Anyhow. One thing I didn't see mentioned, which I thought would be a good tip. At a couple of the weddings I assisted at, we had a mention of a family member that needed to either be separated from another (i.e. Ex husband/wife) and could not be in the same photos together. As well at one, we got word last minute that the groom's father had opted out of any formal photos. So when going through the list of formal photos of family members, not to call his name for photos. So I guess the tip would be to check with the B&G if any family members cannot be in photos together due, that way to avoid any drama that may arise during formal photos.

My tip would be have back ups
A second cam
Batteries
Mem cards
Anything that can break, throw a wobble or just pack have a back up for
And a pack of tissues, there is always someone with a tear
I went to a family friends wedding a a camera carrying guest. I let the pro do his thing and I got all those other moments, that people rem in different ways
Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back