Hot tips for WEDDING photography

Get a telephoto lens such as Canon 70-200mm 2.8 and take lots of candid shots!!!

---------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]www.haringphotography.com[/FONT]

wow... this thread really spans a long time. Lots of good info in here. Just wanted to pass on a recommendation for a wedding book you might want to check out. Check out the reviews on amazon.
It's called:
Fast Track Photographer: The Definitive New Approach to Successful Wedding Photograph

-Jim

New York
Photographer - www.jimpowellphoto.com

Don't get stuck doing the same stuff you've always done. It's easy to not push yourself to the next level thinking that what you're doing is good enough. Pushing yourself produces excitement. Our brides and grooms usually start getting into the pictures when we tell them we're trying something new. They feel like they're part of a unique piece of art instead of doing exactly what you did last wedding.

hello,

1. Create a ‘Shot List’

2. Family Photo Coordinator

3. Scout the Location

4. Preparation is key

5. Set expectations with the Couple

6. Turn off the sound on your camera

7. Shoot the small details

8. Use Two Cameras

9. Consider a Second Photographer

10. Be Bold but Not Obtrusive

11. Learn how to Use Diffused Light

12. Shoot in RAW

13. Display Your Shots at the Reception

14. Consider Your Backgrounds

15. Don’t Discard Your ‘Mistakes’

16. Change Your Perspective

17. Group Shots

18. Fill Flash

19. Continuous Shooting Mode

thanks

I didn't read every single post here, so not sure if this was suggested. I go the rehearsal the night before every wedding I shoot - even if I've shot in that location a hundred times. It takes about an hour and a half of your Friday evening (assuming a Saturday wedding), but it's the best 90 minutes you'll spend on the wedding. You'll get to see the entire flow of the ceremony. You can scout the best angles, text the ambient lighting (I take a camera) since you probably won't be able to use flash during the ceremony. You'll get a sense of how big the families are, whether there'll be a receiving line, blowing bubbles at the end, etc, etc, etc. You'll just be so much better prepared on the wedding day if you've been to the rehearsal.

And let's not forget, when you are ready to go out shooting weddings don't forget to advertise yourself! One way to do this is by getting listed in <cough> directories where clients can find you. It all helps ;)

Everything in this thread is VERY helpful! But I do have a few questions...

1) Do you use Autofocus in the ceremony and at night? I would think it would be distracting or possibly annoying seeing a tiny light focus on you.

2) When hiring a 2nd photographer do you process their images so they can look all the same as yours in terms of editing? And how much do you usually pay a 2nd photographer?

3) Do most of you set up flash units at the reception with transmitters and receivers or do you just use a flash and diffuser?

1) Do you use Autofocus in the ceremony and at night? I would think it would be distracting or possibly annoying seeing a tiny light focus on you.

2) When hiring a 2nd photographer do you process their images so they can look all the same as yours in terms of editing? And how much do you usually pay a 2nd photographer?

3) Do most of you set up flash units at the reception with transmitters and receivers or do you just use a flash and diffuser?

1) Yes, autofocus in ceremony and at night. Would it be distracting or annoying to some people? Maybe, but you're getting paid to get the shot for the B&G. Don't worry.

2) Post-processing for our studio generally means making them have the same look. They're not all going to look the same in the end, because shooting techniques can differ but the PP style is typically the same. (I wouldn't know anything about price)

3) External flash/diffuser

1) Yes, autofocus in ceremony and at night. Would it be distracting or annoying to some people? Maybe, but you're getting paid to get the shot for the B&G. Don't worry.

2) Post-processing for our studio generally means making them have the same look. They're not all going to look the same in the end, because shooting techniques can differ but the PP style is typically the same. (I wouldn't know anything about price)

3) External flash/diffuser

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

I do still have more up my sleeve :lol:

4) How do you talk to your subjects when doing portraits or engagements. Like the first time I did an engagement I was telling them to"pose" basically. But it didn't have that natural effect when it came in the camera. Do I just say act really affectionate and pretend I'm not here? Or do I do what I did before which is have them "pose". Any tips on this would be great.

5)Does a camera bracket make any difference?

Whilst technical excellence is required when shooting wedding photographs, it is the emotion in the images that you are really looking for.

to do this you need to get to know the happy couple well before the day and make them feel at ease in front of the camera - then you will get the great shoots you and they are looking for.

www.gmatherphotography.com

Not sure if this was brought up before but if you can get your hands on "Masters of Wedding Photography 1 & 2" they are very good ones to watch. Each has 4-5 different photographers from their own views. They explain how they like to take their photos. It's usually shot of the photographer doing an actual wedding so you can see what he's doing as the day goes on.

One of the most helpful tips I’ve been given about Wedding Photography is to get the couple to think ahead about the shots that they’d like you to capture on the day and compile a list so that you can check them off. This is particularly helpful in the family shots. There’s nothing worse than getting the photos back and realizing you didn’t photograph the happy couple with grandma!

please, check following points for wedding photography
1.Style of Wedding Photography You like.
2. Wedding Photography Budget
3. Hiring Your Photographer
4. Plan your Wedding Pictures
5. Time to Fit it All In

also it is important to meet personally and see that the overall attitude is pleasant and cooperative...

If you have a lens with IS capabilities and you plan to use the IS, double check to make sure the IS is on. I neglected to check mine and I guess the switch was flipped sometime in transit or in loading/unloading gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back