Hot tips for WEDDING photography

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Sharkbait, Apr 9, 2005.

1. jms12886

jms12886 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. salinabiber

salinabiber TPF Noob!

In high MP cameras you will find so many settings. Some main things to consider: Always set the mode according to weather and lighting of the place. If you have enough lights then no need of flash. Some wedding photographers are very popular in Glasgow because of their knowledge in photography. My uncle is a wedding photographer named <SPAM Deleted> and he has given me the vast knowledge of photography and related things.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  3. photographadventure

photographadventure TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a few tips I've come across:

Leave an impression for future business.

Give a gift to the couple either shortly after booking the wedding or perhaps leave a gift at the wedding.
    At the end of the wedding night, say goodbye to not only the couple, but the bridal party and couples' parents - lasting impressions for future referrals
    Offer a bonus for couples that refer you and get you more booked weddings

4. samhaddixphotography

samhaddixphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't forget that your job as a photographer doesn't end the day of the ceremony. It's also your job to delivered images to your clients in a timely and efficient manner. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard of wedding photographers taking a year or more to get photos back to their couples. As with most things, it's best to under promise and over deliver.
    -Sam

www.samhaddixphotography.com

5. jamesbjenkins

jamesbjenkins No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    My best advice after shooting about 20 weddings in the last 3 years is that communication and rapport with the couple is the most important thing. If at all possible, shoot an engagement session with them before the big day. If nothing else, at least share a meal or drinks with them to break the ice and get to know each other. It pays HUGE dividends if you've spent informal personal time with them before you're pointing a camera in their faces. The initial consultation is good, but it's no substitute for just hanging out with them.

There are 10 million threads on here about gear and other junk, so I won't waste time on that. The only other thing that I can't say enough times is...capture every bit of essence that you can find. Shooting to provide context for the day is critical.

• Like Like x 1
  6. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

One of the biggest things that has helped me has been asking the bride and groom to come out during the reception for a few night photos. I usually pitch the idea before the wedding so they are onboard with it, and it gives them a chance to take a break and just be with each other on their wedding day. For me it allows me a chance to create some unique photos that can sometimes really round out a set of couple's portraits and add a lot of variety.

7. pixilstudio

pixilstudio No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you need this list you have no business shooting weddings. Ill tell you what i tell everyone the responsible way to break into the business is to assist for someone else

• Like Like x 1
  8. joeymas

joeymas TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice list. I personally can never sell myself as a wedding photographer. I get through them when I have to but true wedding pros have it "locked up" - a check list like this is gold. Thanks for posting as a guide.

9. JessicaLittle

JessicaLittle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree with everything here. Generally meeting the couple and catering to their needs while getting your/the classic checklist of shots is a good recipe for success. I'd also recommend a wide lens, lots of action or crowd shots, and in my exipience couples appricate shots of their younger and older guests even if they don't come out and say it.

10. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like to make a video showcase of the wedding photos and include several unorthodox and unexpected shots in it as well, like the gathering of family, the crowd seating and seated, a few extra candid shots they didn't realize were being made, etc. as well as the standard fare of set up shots. Add the couples favorite artist as background music and cut the shots o fit the music at several key points to keep it all synced.

11. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What's with the repeated zombie thread comments? This is a sticky thread, meaning it's meant to stay at the top of the forum and remain relevant for continued discussion.

Also just out of curiosity, why is this thread open for discussion but the portrait one locked? I feel like I could offer plenty of decent advice on shooting portraits.

12. K&B Martin

K&B Martin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I totally agree with you Slovensky, I am just starting to turn my hobby of photography into a businesses but I also am a wedding officiant and I always like to meet with my couples at lest 1 to 2 times before the wedding and try to get to know them, I offer any kind of help I can give them the day of there wedding, I talk to the bride and the groom before the wedding starts and while standing up front with the groom waiting for his bride to come down the isle I whisper to him if he starts getting nervous calming words to keep him calm. It does help a lot. :)